Likes My Blanket Too Much

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by steph84, Feb 10, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I have a 4 year old cat who won't stop "going at it" on my blanket. He is fixed and we all thought that this behavior would stop once he got fixed, but he actually went for it with the stitches in and everything. He has stopped a little bit, but he is like a silent kitty pervert who only does this at night. Once the lights turn off he goes from room to room having his way with our comforters. We have tried to put him outside at night, but he just screams or scratches the door and keeps us all up. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried spray bottles, a firm no, locking my door and more. Help!

steph84, Feb 10, 2012
  2. steph84

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Have you tried the feliway spray? It's like the vaporiser but with the benefit of being able to spray it in a specific place. It might help if you spray it on your comforters. I believe it's odourless to humans so that shouldn't be an issue. I only used to vaporiser myself so I don't really know about the spray, but the vaporiser worked wonders for cats that are stressed or aggressive. It might help with your cat as well if he does this as an issue of dominance.

Yolanda, Feb 10, 2012
  3. steph84

magickat Well-Known Member

It may calm down with time, some cats continue with previous behaviours for a while purely out of habit. This happened with our tom cat but he has calmed right down now.

magickat, Feb 11, 2012
  4. steph84

Thanks so much Yolanda! I have never even heard of feliway spray. I have been searching the web for other options and never even thought about spraying something on my bed. I don't know if it is a dominance thing, but I do think it is out of habit. I think he does it simply because he is pleasuring himself. I'll report back after I get my hands on that spray. Thanks for the advice too, magickat!

steph84, Feb 12, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  5. steph84

magickat Well-Known Member

Do let us know how you get on, I will be very interested to hear about the feliway spray. I hope it works for you :)

magickat, Feb 12, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  6. steph84

In the worst case scenario I can get it for you and ship it out. Where do you live? I know zooplus.com sells it but I am not sure if it will ship to your country.

Yolanda, Feb 12, 2012
  7. steph84

Thanks for the offer. I just found that they have it at my local pet store. I'm in the US and they even offer a rebate right now. It must be my lucky day! You're a doll for the offer, though. Have a great day!

steph84, Feb 12, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  8. steph84

Iordachioaie Ionut New Member

i had the same problem , but after 2-3 days my cat just stopped doing it ;)

Iordachioaie Ionut, Feb 14, 2012
  9. steph84

It's good to hear that the trouble didn't last long for your lordachioaielonut. I hope it will work for you, Steph! Please let us know how it worked out!

Yolanda, Feb 18, 2012
  10. steph84

Yolanda, Feb 18, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  11. steph84

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I have never used feliway spray but have heard from others that it works well.
    Yolanda, I love the kibble donating program, glad to see others are aware of the site and also donate through it.

Micheleteresa, Feb 19, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  12. steph84

inTHEsane Active Member

I have never had any personal experience with the spray but have heard of good results. As said above with time he will start to realize that there is
    nothing ever going to be accomplished from the behavior and give it up and/or grow out of it. In the meantime maybe try getting him his own blanket
    to further it along.

inTHEsane, Feb 22, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
Ask a Question