Like treats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

My cat refuses cat treats. It doesn't matter if they're hard or soft, flavored or plain, funky shapes or not, in toys or not, expensive brand or cheap, whatever. She -wants- to like them and will get really curious and beg for it, but as soon as she smells it, she walks away. Every other cat I had has loved treats, but this one, no way, ha.

Do you give your cats treats?

Jessi, Apr 18, 2012
  2. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. But very simple things. Like small bits of dried fish. Or the left-overs from my plate.

Victor Leigh, Apr 19, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

All my cats would eat treats everyday 3 times a day if I let me. You could try putting some of their favorite soft food around it, then, they may be more tempted to try it. Think about going to the vet, and buy some of their type of dental greenie type of treats. My cats love these types of treats. They also have a soft like pocket they sell, that is basically used for putting pills in it, so cats will take their pills better. My cats love the taste of the pockets as a great snack treat.

Jenny Heart, Apr 19, 2012
  4. Jessi

christina Active Member

All four of my cats love cat treats. I buy Pounce and shake the bottle and they all come running. It's so funny!

christina, Apr 19, 2012
  5. Jessi

magickat Well-Known Member

My cats all love treats. I have to make sure the packets are safely put away or they break into them on their own and eat them all lol

magickat, Apr 19, 2012
  6. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

My kitties just loves treats.
    [​IMG]
    We get her these, just because they are easy to find and not to badly priced. Who knows if she can even tell, but we switch off the flavors that we buy :)

btatro, Apr 19, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if they could actually tell the difference in the flavor. I try to pick out ones I think she'd like, but they all smell the same to me, ha!

Jessi, Apr 20, 2012
  8. Jessi

I am sure they do. And they can probably tell the difference by sight, too. I know because I have seen cats totally ignoring moles which look like mice but smell horrible.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have no doubts they can smell the difference between living things. Moles and mice may look different from afar, but they're pretty distinct, smell different, act different, etc.

But little cat treats that are manmade and storebought? How do we even know if they're putting in a different smell/flavor, or just using the same stuff and tacking on a different label?

Jessi, Apr 21, 2012
  10. Jessi

You have a point there. It's like some of the pastries that I see in the bakeries. Basically the same thing made from dough. Just with different colors and flavoring.

Victor Leigh, Apr 21, 2012
  11. Jessi

Anna T Active Member

I give my cats treats occasionally and they love them! I don't think I have purchased a brand they turn down yet.

I also give them table scraps on occasion, and they love that if it's something meaty.

Anna T, Apr 22, 2012
  12. Jessi

My cats don't really care whether the scraps are meaty or not. As long as it comes from my plate, they think it must be tasty.

Victor Leigh, Apr 22, 2012
  13. Jessi

Anna T Active Member

My cats are actually pretty picky with the table scraps. They don't like bread or any kind of fruit/veggie (I am guessing since they're carnivores). Dogs are different though. I have had dogs that will eat just about anything that gets thrown to them.

Anna T, Apr 23, 2012
  14. Jessi

Mentalia Member

Yes, my cat love treats, especially the cheezy ones. He loves everything about and with cheese. But I have to be careful, that he woudn't get diarrhea from it. He is pretty picky with his food, but not with treats.

Mentalia, May 2, 2012
  15. Jessi

Has anyone considered giving their cats live treats? I remember one of my brother-in-laws who likes to do that. He doesn't buy the live treats, though. Whenever he finds any baby mice, he would give them to his cats. Sometimes, he would shoot down a lizard on the ceiling with a rubber band.,

Victor Leigh, May 3, 2012
  16. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep. I don't buy live treats and I don't even think of them as "treats," but I have pointed them in the direction of mice before. I've let them play with other live things, too, but they never actually eat them, so I tend to take them away before they actually hurt the creature.

Jessi, May 3, 2012
Ask a Question