kitty litter bedding

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Kitty Kiss spent the entire day yesterday napping in his litter box. He isnt sick to his stomach or anything, that I know of. He, apparently, decided it was a really comfortable place to sleep. Whats really surprising is he did this with poop in the box. Has anyone ever seen a cat do that? Do you think I should be worried?

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  2. LilAnn

Trellum Well-Known Member

That is odd, my Bob doesn't like to be anywhere close to his poop. But if you say kitty kiss isn't sick, then I wouldn't worry. Maybe he felt a bit quirky and decided to give it a try ;)

Trellum, Jun 28, 2015
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Its turned out to be his favorite spot. I just don't get it. I keep the litter scooped out... every morning its done. But he doesn't care. He used to love the window sill. Now he doesn't hang out up there at all.

SMH

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  4. LilAnn

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have heard of cats napping in their litter boxers though I am not sure why. When I first brought Merle home he use to always sleep in the litter box which didn't make Harley very happy. Once he got use to us and his new home he found other places that were more comfortable to sleep.

I find that they change places often. When they find a place they like to sleep they will be there for days, maybe weeks and then all of a sudden they will find a new favorite spot for a bit and move on. Cats can be a little difficult to figure out. They keep you wondering..:)

Susan Brown, Jul 21, 2015
  5. LilAnn

Vitani Member

From what I know cats do this because they feel insecure. The litter box is a closed in space that they are use to. My cat Yuna use to do this when we first got Taisha. Yuna was always anxious and stressed, so she slept in her litter box. We replaced it with a cardboard box that was about the same size as the litter box. She sleeps in her Yuna box instead of the litter box now. I am wondering if something outside is giving him anxiety. Maybe a new neighborhood cat that he can see or smell. He might feel the need to protect his territory. They make plug in cat pheromones that relax the cats we have had success with that or Thundershirts. We have tried a Thundershirt on 2 different cats, one did nothing but take it off and it didn't help at all. The other was pretty much liquid, he was so relaxed, well until he spotted a moth that needed eaten. :) I would also take him the the vet and get him checked out, sometimes UTI's can make cats really strange.

Vitani, Jul 25, 2015
Ask a Question