Kitty constipation

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by acheno84, May 22, 2016.

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member

I have a 6 year old orange tabby named Olliver and he has always been a little "special". Well, last year we had to take him to the vet because he got constipated and had to have an enema. A month after that, I ordered an enema to administer to him since it happened again. The vet recommend food that has the highest fiber content possible and a little wet food. I'm out of ideas at this point because even the highest fiber food has him backed up. Last week he passed a poop that was abnormally large (like the size of a plum). I have read about "megacolon" and worry that he is starting to develop symptoms of that. I have had him on wet food all week with a mix of a new dry food that we found and he seems to be doing ok. He refuses to eat the probiotic treats I got him (my other cats LOVE them) and I don't necessarily want him to spend his entire life on laxatives. He seems pretty regular now, but I want to prevent this from happening again. What tricks have worked for you in the past?

acheno84, May 22, 2016
  2. acheno84

MER Well-Known Member

We had the opposite problem after Rosco got fixed. Ever since he came home from the vets, he had the sh*ts. We made the little guy suffer with all kinds of anti this that and the other as well as probiotics. The vet finally prescribed dry cat food that is soy based. Expensive $116 for 28 lbs but he poops like he use too.

MER, Jun 6, 2016
Ask a Question