Keeping them down from tables?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Fleexie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Fleexie

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Here's an idea that wouldn't get your furniture wet. Roll up a newspaper like a baton. Smack the newspaper baton on the floor near the offending cat. So far I haven't seen any cat that doesn't get the message.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  2. Fleexie

btatro Well-Known Member

I also used the spray bottle method. One small squirt was enough to remove her from any situation I did not like. Thank you for pointing out that you will not hurt your pets!

btatro, Apr 8, 2012
  3. Fleexie

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I have found for my cats that it doesn't really matter how much stuff is piled up, they will still climb on top of it, through it, jump over it, etc. It seems that my cats like very hoard-like areas because then they can hide and play with each other. And of course, my cats love to sleep in weird places that are great for hiding as well.

dkramarczyk, Apr 8, 2012
  4. Fleexie

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think this is where the expression 'curiosity kills the cat' comes from. Cats are incorrigibly curious. They just have to find out what's inside all the crooks and crannies around the house. As for the jumbled up places that you talked about, I think cats like to play there because that's usually where the mice hide out, too.

Victor Leigh, Apr 9, 2012
  5. Fleexie

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Well I know that we don't have mice inside the house at all. But there is the occasional time when our indoor/outdoor cat will bring home a dead mouse and leave it on our welcome mat. But I've heard that cats just do that to bring a present to their master, so I don't pay much mind to it. I just clean it up and be on my way. I think cats just enjoy jumbled places because they feel even more secure and safe. Like a nice little hiding spot that would be impossible for a predator to find them.

dkramarczyk, Apr 9, 2012
  6. Fleexie

kinser Active Member

Spray bottles are good training tools since most cats despise water. I've also noticed that my cat is terrified of aluminum foil, so setting a few strips on the table (especially when you're not around to correct) might be helpful. I also have used a can full of coins to shake to train dogs, so it might work with cats as well.

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  7. Fleexie

magickat Well-Known Member

Compressed air works really well too, it is effective but harmless. In then end I don't even have to spray it, just the sight of the can on the table stops them jumping up.

magickat, Apr 14, 2012
Ask a Question