Issues with the END of leash time!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by NukeTech12, Apr 8, 2012.

1. NukeTech12

NukeTech12 New Member

Cloudy has really enjoyed going outside since we bought a harness for her. She meows once or twice to get my attention, then leads me to the door when she wants to go out. She holds still so she can be put in her harness, and pays attention to my cues when we are outside. She eats a little grass, and sniffs around our immediate outdoor surroundings. Everything is wonderful until she wants to go in on her own, or I call time and lead her toward the door to go inside. She walks inside on her own, she lets me take off her harness, THEN she has a weird reaction.
    If I walk past her to put away her leash, she bats at my heels! Never with fully bared claws, no blood, no scratches, but she has caught my pants with a claw. After a nice walk, it seems like such like we have communicated well to that point. No matter who calls the end to a walk, I have to hold back and let her survey the house and go on her way before I can make a move past the entry way into the house.
    This seems really odd to me! Any ideas on why this behavior pops up? Any ideas on how else to end a walk?

NukeTech12, Apr 8, 2012
  2. NukeTech12

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I never had to take to take any of my cats for a walk on a leash so I have never had this problem. With my dogs, all walks end with a snack. Maybe you can try that with your cat.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  3. NukeTech12

Jessi Well-Known Member

How long have you been walking your cat like this? It may just still feel like a new environment each time you come home and she has to feel it out again before being okay. If it's been a relatively short amount of time, it seems pretty normal to me.

Jessi, Apr 11, 2012
Ask a Question