Is you cat Narcoleptic?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anne, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

When my Twinkle was alive I used to ask that question many times. Cats were foreign to me and I could not understand why he would disappear for hours on end and not come to hang out with me. Some days I would get terribly afraid he had disappeared for good , only to find him curled up and asleep is some corner some time after.

I have since learned that cats sleep for at least 2/3 of their lives. It's a shame his life was so short. Do you worry about your cat's sleeping?

Anne, Jan 8, 2015
  2. Anne

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Not really, I haven't noticed any of my cats having such a problem. In fact, I didn't even known of a cat being narcoleptic till you brought it up. I know this is a disorder that humans have and can be one that plagues them. But I had no idea that a cat can get it as well.

Fortunately, I don't think Pepper or any of her kittens have this disorder, but I will certainly keep this in mine where they are concern.

pafjlh, Jan 19, 2015
  3. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Narcolepsy/Symptoms.aspx

Pafjih, your cat does not sleep for a very long time during the day ? I tell you no lie. My heart used to be in my hand in the early stages of Twinkle's short life. I would be searching high and low to find him. In the end he might have been somewhere in the basement sleeping. When I had house help he's disappear for an entire day and then we'd find him in a cupboard sleeping. As he grew he became more outgoing but that narcoleptic behaviour still persisted.

Anne, Jan 19, 2015
Ask a Question