Is My Sister Going Too Far, Regarding Cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Dec 22, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I love our five cats very much. But sometimes I feel as if my sister is going a bit too far where these cats are concerned. As I have stated before Pepper use to be part of a feral community of cats, till she latched on to my family. After that she had kittens of her own. Now we have five cats, anyway although I love the casts I know they are capable of taking care of themselves. They are outdoor cats and know what needs to be done.

But sometimes I feel like I need to remind my sister of this. The cats have all had colds and eye problems, so she has been overly worried about them. Checking on them all the time, making sure they are eating. Freaking out if one doesn't come. I know she loves them perhaps more then I do because she has more or less taken over their care. But sometimes I feel like she is going too far perhaps over doing it. Am I right to be concerned or is she acting like any overly attentive cat owner?

pafjlh, Dec 22, 2014
  2. pafjlh

PennySafe Member

She just has a lot of compassion for the animals. I think it's sweet that she cares about their comfort and issues. My sister is like that; she really has a heart for animals and cares about my cats probably more than I do. I love my cats, but I also realize that they are independent animals and will be okay if someone isn't around.

PennySafe, Dec 23, 2014
  3. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

Well a year ago I might have thought she was over doing. I might have scoffed at the idea of someone being so attentive to the needs of a cat. Today I am a totally different person having loved and lost one of the most special pets in my life.

I was not a cat person. I must have said this more than a hundred times. But when my son brought that kitten home he found on the street, Twinkle changed my life forever. In the end my son who embraced animals much more than I did could not understand how in such a short space of time a animal touched my soul like Twinkle did.

That said, I fully understand your sister's position.

Anne, Dec 26, 2014
  4. pafjlh

Aymes Member

I think that's totally normal to be honest. If it were me I would be doing the exact same thing, especially since I'm a Vet Tech and I love cats. You never know what could happen to them out there. A small infection or cold could get bad very quickly. If she finds the problem as soon as it starts there's a better chance it can be resolved. I understand that some people are different, so it's normal that you guys handle it differently. I don't think you need to worry about your sister constantly checking on the cats. She probably sees them as her family members.

Aymes, Dec 26, 2014
    Anne likes this.
  5. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Yes my sister see's the cats as her babies, especially Pepper. I have to admit that I too am attached to them, maybe not as much. Anyway, last week we didn't see Pepper for almost two days and we were concern. Fortunately she did turn up again.

As for the cats with colds. I guess my sister had reason for concern there too, two of them didn't seem to want to eat or drink for a few days. Fortunately, they all have gotten over their colds now and are back to being their old cheerful selves.

pafjlh, Jan 3, 2015
  6. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear all turned out well. Sometimes I wonder if I had worried more if my Twinkle would be alive. I listened to people telling me he would be back home. While I did search I often questioned whether I search hard enough. In the end he never returned like so many assured me. I found him dead in the bushes some yards from home:mad::(:confused:.

Anne, Jan 4, 2015
  7. pafjlh

mimio Active Member

Congratulations first of all! Actually, see the cats as kids is so happy~ as long as don't let them get the obesity epidemic. :p

mimio, Jan 6, 2015
Ask a Question