Is Mama Cat Being a Good Mom? Help!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Shan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Shan

Shan New Member

My cat gave birth 1 week ago to six kittens. Today she relocated her kittens from the bathtub to under my desk in a box. Mama Cat is now spending less time with the kittens and when she does nurse it seems to be for less time then before. (so far she has been a very attentive Mom). Right after nursing she will go and lounge around the rest of my 1 bedroom apartment resting, eating and playing. When Mama cat is away from the kittens, the kittens sleep soundly in a pile. Mama cat has also developed diarrhea today. She did eat 5 of the 6 placentas. She has been on a vet recommended food for a month now.

My questions are:

1. Is it normal for Mama to spend less time with her kittens now that they are one week old?

2. How can I tell if the kittens are getting enough milk?

3. If the kittens were hungry, or in need of more of mama's attention would they cry out?

4. Is the diarrhea normal? Some sites say yes, some say no.

5. What are the signs of a neglectful MaMa Cat?

6. How much time should Mama be spending with her week old kittens?

Thanks,
    Shannon

Shan, Mar 21, 2012
  2. Shan

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I have observed many cats that have had kitten, and have seen both reactions from the others. The mama cat could be sick, and feeling weak after having her babies. Does her babies seem active enough? Watch the kittens alot and see if they are becoming more active or less. This may help you feel more at ease. I recommend using Buffalo kitten food when they are old enough. Look on the bag of kitten food and see if the kittens are old enough. My one cat has diabetes, and while the vet recommended a vet recommended food, i'm staying with the Buffalo brand. My cat's insulin level has improved, when the vet was skeptical. I pray you cat family becomes and stays healthy.

Jenny Heart, Apr 11, 2012
  3. Shan

steph84 Well-Known Member

Hey Shannon, how are the kitties and your mommy cat? I hope that she felt better after giving birth. I had a cat who did this when I was little. She got sick and nursing just took too much out of her so she would hide from the kittens.

steph84, Apr 13, 2012
Ask a Question