Is it ok to make your own cat food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by catlover2, Oct 14, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I have noticed several recipes on this site now for cat food that you make yourself. Is this acceptable? I just want to make sure that I doing everything that I can for Joey and want him to be only safe.

catlover2, Oct 14, 2010
  2. catlover2

Janet Ford Member

Certainly. Just be sure to do your homework on your cat's nutritional needs. Same with feeding raw, which is my particular preference. I think it can be safer nowadays to make your own cat food versus purchasing commercial cat foods given the amount of pet food and treat lawsuits. At least if you make it yourself, you know what's in it.

Janet Ford, Oct 25, 2015
  3. catlover2

Anne Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this one. While I never got to make much of anything for Twinkle, I think making your own cat food is the best thing you can do if you have the time for it. You know exactly what's in the meal and you don't have to wonder if what the label says is accurate as it's your own 'label' you'll have to consult.

Anne, Oct 25, 2015
  4. catlover2

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I think making your own cat food is a wonderful idea. Do some research on it and find recipes that your cat will like.
    He is definitely be a healthier kitty and probably happier too to have some real food. Let us know what you decide
    to make and how it turns out! :)

Susan Brown, Oct 27, 2015
Ask a Question