Introducing Cats to Kids

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Natalie89, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Natalie89

Natalie89 Member

I had to give my cat away when I was pregnant as I developed a violent aversion to her smell and couldn't be in the house without being sick. She went to a family friend so that's all good.

Anyway, fast forward 4 years and my little boy and his step dad have decided they'd like a cat for our new house when we move in a the next few weeks. My son is very excited, and my husband has had cats all his life, but now we've sat and talked about it, neither of us have a clue of how to go about introducing a new cat to a toddler.

I'm hoping to get one from rescue, maybe a little older at about 4 or 5, who has previous experience with children, but some people I've spoke to have said I may be better getting a kitten (we have the time to care for it and supervise it's growing up) so it can grow accustomed to my boy from the very beginning.

Has anyone got any tips at all? :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Natalie89, Jun 22, 2015
  2. Natalie89

Anne Well-Known Member

Anne, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Natalie89

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, it is also possible to rescue kittens as well. If you can't find one in one of those official places, then just look for it in the newspaper or with relatives. Plenty of unwanted little kitties out there. So so many! When I was little I had the disgrace of finding abandoned kittens, sadly my mom wouldn't let me keep them. Not until I got older.

Trellum, Jun 25, 2015
Ask a Question