introducing a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by newbie, May 7, 2011.

1. newbie

newbie New Member

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice.

We have just got a lovely blue britsh shorthair kitten called Oscar. He has only been with us for a few days but he has already settled in brilliantly and he is just like one of the family. I just wonder how he will adapt to being alone when we are at work. He was having a lot of fun playing with his litter-mates when I went to pick him up, I would have liked to take two but they were very expensive.
    I know of affordable kittens available but I wonder how they would get on being from different litters. Also would introducing a new kitten be overwhelming for Oscar as he has only just got settled in with us.
    I hate to think about Oscar being bored or lonely while we are out, and would like to get him a playmate to keep him company but don't want to unsettle him or any new kitten we may get.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

newbie, May 7, 2011
  2. newbie

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I had this situation, and I found a few things that helped. I tried placing a few stacked up boxed, that would help encourage playful activities between them all. My cats would peep around the boxes, and pat at each other. Then, they slowly started playing more with each other. I took the most dominate cat of mine out on the front porch when he got jealous, and started hissing. I would gently tell him to stop that or he would go outside. Then, I would bring him back in within a half an hour, and then, encourage them to play with the boxes together. Then, slowly but surely the hissing stopped, and they accepted one another, and once again I had a happy cat family.

Jenny Heart, Apr 12, 2012
Ask a Question