Introducing a new kitten to your house cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by britishblueshorthair, Sep 15, 2010.

1. britishblueshorthair

britishblueshorthair Member

I’ve recently got a 3 month old cream British Shorthair and also have a 11 month old British Blue Shorthair (house cats and both males)

Charlie the British Blue is really friendly and playful but has really not taken to the kitten. Its now the 4th day and he’s still chasing the kitten around the house and trying to pin him down and looks to be nipping him softly I think.

The kitten of course retaliates and which causes Charlie to try harder to get him. Sometime pooing himself all over him and Charlie (nice)

We of course only introduce them to each over ever 1 hour giving a break between the two and separate at night.

We have also rubbed Gizmo’s (cream shorthair) sent around the house. Ive also heard rubbing food on the kittens head helps bonding as the older cat licks it of “without eating him of course.”

I’m just concerned about Charlie and hope this will not affect his lovely nature as he is defiantly loves to be around you where ever you go.

Is it to soon to tell if they will get on and am I worrying to much about Charlie?

Any advice would be helpful.

I’ve attached two pictures so you can see what they look like

britishblueshorthair, Sep 15, 2010
  2. britishblueshorthair

catlover2 Well-Known Member

It is always hard to introduce a new cat into the home without the old one getting jealous. I know that when I introduced two cats to my female cat, she was hostile at first. Because they were on her ground. But after a few weeks she lightened up. Make sure you give your older cat lots of love and attention and never make him feel like the other cat is more important. Play with them together so they can get used to playing. Take little steps to make them see that they are both ok and you should be set to go.

catlover2, Sep 16, 2010
Ask a Question