Introducing a new (adult) cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Yolanda, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

At the time being I am not in the position to take in another cat. I have two cats who are a bit older though and sometimes I think about the future, and whether I'd like to get a kitten or adult cat to join our little 'tribe'. I am curious about experiences with adult cats being introduced to adult cats. I've heard some good stories but at least the same amount (or more) stories that had a bad ending and where the new cat had to go back to the previous owners or shelter. I really don't want that to happen; you want to save and help a cat, not take it in and bring it back. It's said that the introduction of a kitten is more likely to succeed, so I was taking a rescue kitten might be easier to introduce? It's not something I have to decide quickly, just pondering ;)

Any thoughts or stories to share on this?

Yolanda, Nov 23, 2011
  2. Yolanda

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My kitty Sunny readily accepted all the other kitty's who were kittens when introduced to her, but I will soon have to introduce Trinity to Sunny and the others and I am a bit leary as to how this will work. Sunny has always been the "momma" to everyone, she even played momma to three baby chicks at one time. I am not sure how she will take to another adult female cat. When I briefly let them peek at each other by cracking my door opened a bit Sunny sniffed at Trinity and then hissed and Trinity hissed back. I think kittens are easier to introduce but there is no way i'm giving up Sunny or Trinity, if I was able to tame a vicious dog everyone feared and was able to get close enough to feed and pet a horse no one else could get near without being kicked, then I will patiently take the time needed for Sunny and Trinity to get along and live peacefully together. I will let you know how it goes, waiting on Vets ok to let Trin near the rest of the tribe.

Micheleteresa, Nov 26, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

How cute that she fostered those baby chicks ;) I would love to hear how it goes! I agree that with a lot of patience and love for your pets you can make thing work 99% of the time. I wish you lots of luck, even though judging from your post I don't think you need it :)

Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  4. Yolanda

th_100_0879.jpg th_100_0884.jpg here's Sunny with her baby chicks. Trinity's appointment is next friday, hopefully she will be given the OK to be around the other Kitty's . We are moving soon and think that may be a help as it will eliminate any territorial behaviour since it will be new turf for everyone. BTW, getting close to the vicious dog, who i named Charla once i was able to become friends with her and she followed me home, was a case of desperation knowing she would end up shot by one of the village idiots. The horse, I really just did not know any better to be honest, I went to visit my sister in law, saw a new horse in the yard and went to the horse before my sister in law even knew I was there, never entered my mind there could be any reason to fear the horse.

Micheleteresa, Dec 2, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  5. Yolanda

I truely believe animals can sense fear, and that they can react to it in several ways. They can either be very gentle or aggressive. I guess the horse felt your genuine intention and the fact you did not fear him/her and responded to that.

Yolanda, Dec 3, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  6. Yolanda

Trinity has the ok from the vet to be near the other kittys but she is reluctant to leave my room. I have opened the bedroom door all the way and she will sit in the doorway looking into the living room, when one of the other kitty's approaches her she lets them get close then hisses or swipes at them. I believe she is territorial since she has spent the whole two months I have had her confined to my bedroom. I brought her out into the living room and she seemed okay at first but then ran back to my room, meowing at the door. I think it is just a case of time and Trinity will be fine with the rest of the kitty's. On first intro to Edge and Precious she attacked Edge and chased Precious out of my room. The other kitty's all seem ok with Trinity, curios and doing a lot of sniffing.

Micheleteresa, Dec 14, 2011
  7. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

Those baby chicks are so adorable Micheleteresa! Thanks for posting the oh-so adorable pictures! I introduced a new adult cat slowly but surely. I would monitor their play time and did it in increments. Introduce the cats then let them hang around each other for half and hour while supervised then gradually increase their play time. I like to separate them if things get tense and usually keep the new cat away from the others until I make sure they are healthy so I don't spread any kitty diseases.

steph84, Dec 16, 2011
Ask a Question