Introducing a indoor cat outside

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by craigprunty, Oct 20, 2010.

1. craigprunty

craigprunty Active Member

I’m thinking about now I have moved house from a busy road to start to introduce my indoor cats outside.

Anyone got any good tips?

craigprunty, Oct 20, 2010
  2. craigprunty

catforumchat Member

I would just suggest letting the cat decided if it would like to go out.

A good way of introducing the cat out side is to buy a harness for about £5 and silly as it sounds take your cat for a walk around the back garden.

The cat will start to build up courage and will eventually want to venture beyond the garden :dance: :clap: :clap:

catforumchat, Oct 20, 2010
  3. craigprunty

catconnection Member

In addition to using a harness and lease to introduce your cat to the outdoors, it is very important that you have a strong and secure cat enclosure. Once your cat has the "taste" for visiting the outdoors, it will be necessary for him/her to be safe and secure. If this is not possible, you only other choice would be to simply "walk" your cat when he/she wishes to wonder outdoors.

catconnection, Dec 1, 2010
  4. craigprunty

luvmypets Member

I would never let my pets outside. That's just me.

I grew on a street that was not that busy. There was a cat lady across the street and many of her cats were hit. A few neighborhood dogs were hit as well.

Our street was not heavily traveled but it was straight and people tended to drive fast. Animals felt safe in our quiet neighborhood and did not learn to fear cars.

My brother lives in the country and has lost cats to other predators.

I lost a dog to a dog fight because we would let him out. That loss was unbearable to me. My neighbor found him dead in the woods behind their house and buried him. They didn't have the heart to tell us. I looked for him for months. (I was about 15)

I can't bring myself to let my pets outside without a leash.

luvmypets, Dec 3, 2011
  5. craigprunty

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I have let my outdoor cats inside and out for a couple months now since it has started getting cold. They all seem to like it, they always come back to the door when they want in the house. They mostly stay on the deck and sleep. Just remember, how cold it gets outside in the winter time... it might be best to do both like I do, but that is up to you. Good luck!

Wahcashmom, Dec 16, 2011
  6. craigprunty

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Like luvmypets, I don't let my cats outside. To be honest, only one has ever even shown any interest in going outside. He got outside for six hours one time (9:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m.) and never showed any interest in it again. I always wonder what happened to him while he was out there.

Wallie0921, Dec 16, 2011
  7. craigprunty

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats just follow me when I go outside. Then I will potter around the yard. When I go back indoors they follow me in. Perhaps you can try that. Just keep the door open.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2011
  8. craigprunty

amy005 Well-Known Member

I would do what others suggested and just let him deciede if he wants to go outside. He will probably stay near the house at first and then start to wander a bit more once he gets a little more used to it.

amy005, Dec 30, 2011
  9. craigprunty

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just take your cat along every time you go into the yard to do something. Eventually, your cat will start to explore the yard by himself. After cats are supposed to be very inquisitive creatures.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
Ask a Question