Introducing 2 Female Cats

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Mishi Luna, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mishi Luna

Mishi Luna New Member

Greetings everyone,

I have a 4 years old cat since 2 years.

2 weeks ago I adopted a 1 year old cat.

I have followed Jackson Galaxy's method on introducing two cats. I have taken it really slow; I allowed them to see each other AFTER introducing scent, peeping through doors and sharing meal times across the door. In short, I did all my research on introducing both.

Now when I allowed both kitties in one room my problem is,

They just sit there hissing and growling at each other. None of both came forward to at least sniff one another. None of both attacked each other (Thanks Goodness) But only the hissing and growling continues whenever they face each other. The result is my older/resident cat just backs off and moves out of the room slowly as if she gets scared of the new kitty. This has been happening from 5 days. Same thing.

Is this normal?

If this running away continues how will they get closer, sniff each other and make friends?

Am I doing something wrong?

Do I have to do something else?

Sorry for the long post, Please guide me.

Mishi Luna, Mar 25, 2015
  2. Mishi Luna

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's just the senior cat might be a bit confused... he is used to be the senior and the top cat in that house, with that new kitty in the house that might change. They're probably trying to establish who the ''top'' cat will be. Hence that struggle... My bet is that the new kitty is a dominant one, that is why he doesn't adopt a more relaxed and submissive posture.

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  3. Mishi Luna

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

When we have introduced a new kitten to the house, we have had different results. One time, the cats just hissed at each other for about the first week, and then they became best buddy's. They even curled up and slept together. Another time, we had to keep the cats separated for the first couple of months. The older cat finally stopped growling, the younger cat only wanted to be friends. Now after four years, the older cat tolerates the younger cat, as long as, she respects her space. She sometimes places cat and mouse with the younger cat with the boxes in the house, but it can be a real challenge sometimes. I wish you good luck!

Herman&Eddie, Mar 31, 2015
Ask a Question