Inappropriate Urine Spots

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by rara, Aug 26, 2012.

1. rara

rara Member

Hello everbody,

I want to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I have three cats. The youngest, Misha, is 10 months old, we've had her for two months now. I have two litter boxes, one for Misha, {because of different litter} and one for the other two cats. I live in a split level house and want to keep both litter boxes downstairs. Ok, here is the issue. Misha will go downstairs to use the litter box to poop in. She only sometimes goes downstairs to pee. She has peed in the bathtub, on various bed, and leather furniture.
    Is it possible that she is just lazy as far as peeing ? Today I put some tin foil on the leather chair, and she jumped up on the arm but wouldn't step on it. :) I also sprayed Nature's Miracle Just For Cats stain & odor remover on the furniture hoping that will deter her from wanting to get anywhere near it. I will let you know how that goes.

rara, Aug 26, 2012
  2. rara

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Cats tend to do that as part of marking territory, but there can be other reasons. I used to use a citrus spray to keep my cat from scent marking, as well as anything with tea tree oil in it. They also aren't keen on anything highly minted.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 26, 2012
  3. rara

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

It might be worth, just temporarily putting a litter box upstairs for the little one, people always say you need No of cats + 1 for litter boxes, but I have never done this. It could be that she has a kidney infection or something causing her to pee suddenly, so she looks for the most litter box like thing she can.

When my little guy was sick, he would poop outside the litter box, in the bath, on mats, in basins, etc etc, basically whatever he could find on short notice.

Cats also hate mint - even toothpaste, so Evilsprinkles is right, it might be worth marking your own territory with that.

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
  4. rara

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I never knew that cats hated mint like that. I'm wondering now if they don't like the smell of my breath after I brushed my teeth. Sometimes when I pick them up and hug them, they get pissed when I try to kiss them on the head, lol. Other times they don't seem to mind,

OhioTom76, Sep 16, 2012
  5. rara

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I brushed my teeth once, and had a little bit of toothpaste on my chin. Now, my little guy loves to lick my chin, any time i get him near my face he will grab me with his paw, and turn me around so that he can lick my face. When I had toothpaste on my face, he was actually struggling to get away from my face!

Scottyxx, Sep 17, 2012
  6. rara

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

You have to remember that they have very sensitive noses, and so the scent of mint will be magnified. Anything sharp like mint, citrus, vinegar and the like, will make them run off and be grumpy for a bit. I like to use a strongly minted shower gel in summer, to help keep my skin cool. My cat learned the hard way, NOT to bust up my quiet-soak-in-a-bath-time, when he ran in, and was greeted by a wall of pepperminty steam, that he could probably taste, because it was so strong.

They're also not fans of eucalyptus either, so if you need to break out the Vick's Vapour Rub to keep them off your prized possessions, then it's worth a try.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
Ask a Question