in case you're wondering who that handsome boy is for my avatar..

Discussion in 'Meet My Cat' started by S.O. Price, Jul 18, 2012.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

Hi,

This is Papoose. He is a Flame Point Siamese mix. He has amazing blue eyes, which are closed in the picture. He had just gotten home from the vet and was re-learning to relax at home. He is the BEST kitty in the world. I love him to death.

I got him from a vet/adoption center back in 2003. He is really smart and has an amazing personality. I swear sometimes that he is half labrador. He is very vocal of course, which siamese are known for, but that is ok with me. We have great conversations every day.

I wrote an article about him cause he is such a good boy. If you're interested you can see it here...

http://suite101.com/article/the-flame-point-siamese-cat-a-charming-and-delightful-friend-a361609

S.O. Price, Jul 18, 2012
    Becky likes this.
  2. S.O. Price

blackcapped Active Member

Wow! Papoose is a very beautiful cat. I loved reading your article and looking at his pictures listed at the bottom. I never knew that there were different kinds of Siamese cats. I am a bit confused though. Is "Flash Point" and "Flame Point" synonymous?

blackcapped, Jul 18, 2012
  3. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

Oh dear... I've proofread that story a thousand times and never noticed my typo! There is no such thing as a Flash Point Siamese. I should have written Flame Point. I corrected my story and am now going to soak my head in the toilet.

Thanks for pointing out my error.

S.O. Price, Jul 18, 2012
  4. S.O. Price

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Your cat is gorgeous. I never saw a Flame Point Siamese before ,or heard of them. I love his unique coloring.

I kind of wish a "Flash Point Siamese" was a real thing because it sounds cool, like a cat that can shoot fire out of its paws.

ACSAPA, Jul 18, 2012
  5. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

Thanks. He has a great personality to match his looks too! If you noticed the comments from other people at the end of my article, I think his antics are related to his breed. He truly is one of a kind.

I like "Flash Point" too! In fact, when I first got him, I thought that is what the name of his breed was, but after researching I found "Flame Point" and I could tell from the pics that I had found his breed.

S.O. Price, Jul 19, 2012
  6. S.O. Price

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

Awww.... that is quite the gorgeous cat indeed! I can't say I have ever heard of such a breed. Are they always specially bred? I am assuming they would have to be, otherwise they would just be like a calico or tom cat, correct? It looks like they are at type of shorthair cat. And how cool! I didn't realize that these kinds of cats could be dog-like in nature. Wow.... I will have to remember this, I would feel bad leaving the poor thing alone at home and I work a considerable amount. Perhaps I can afford to get a friend for one if it comes to that.

Thanks so much for sharing your article with us as well! It was quite informative. Is that cat blog/page a hobby of yours you keep up? I will have to look back there again to hopefully learn more about other types of cats.

QuatreHiead, Jul 22, 2012
  7. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

Hi, Their breed is shorthair. My Papoose is actually a Flame Point Siamese mix. I know his mother was a purebred Flame Point Siamese and the people where I adopted him said his father was a 'traveling salesman'! So I have no idea what his father was like. Ideally, these cats would do better with a companion. They are probably not a breed that would do well spending a lot of time alone. As far as the writing I do at Suite101.com... I've written a few articles there, but only one about Papoose. It isn't a blog, per se, more like a freelance writing site. They'll let you write on just about any subject. Sadly, not much of a money maker. It's really more about building a portfolio of writing. Have a great day!

S.O. Price, Jul 23, 2012
  8. S.O. Price

I see, I see. However that is pretty neat that you can get to write about your kitty there and build a writing portfolio for yourself! It looks like it was fun to write however, I can't tell you really love your Papoose. Which, did you mention already how that name came to be? I can't help but ask now. It's cute. Do you call him Papo or anything like that for short sometimes?

QuatreHiead, Jul 24, 2012
  9. S.O. Price

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just curious. How did that breed get its name? Is it something to do with the color? I remember reading about Seal Point Siamese. Are they closely related?

Victor Leigh, Jul 25, 2012
  10. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

You know it's funny how a name has to 'fit' a cat. When I first got him I didn't know what to call him so I went on line to a cat site which listed different names. I tried out "Trinidad" but it just didn't seem to fit him. I went back on line and found "Papoose" and since he was so cute and white and puppy-like he really did seem like my Papoose. I don't call him Papo, but I do call him Mr. Nuzzle, cutey pants, smarty pants, handsome boy and probably a couple of other names that I can't remember!

S.O. Price, Jul 26, 2012
  11. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

From what I read, they are called Flame Points because their markings have a reddish tinge to them. Kind of fox colored. He is definitely Siamese and shows some of the classic traits of Siamese. Smart, very vocal and friendly and demanding (which is ok with me). I had never heard of, or seen a Flame Point until the day I walked into a vet/adoption center and they had 2 of them. My only regret was that I did not get the other one. I was only looking for 1 cat at the time, but they were both brothers and now that I know how great he is (and how lonesome the other one was after we left) I really wish I would have taken both. If I ever get more cats again, I'll never leave one alone again. :(

S.O. Price, Jul 26, 2012
  12. S.O. Price

Aww.... that is rather sad. I understand though how you could go in and only be prepared to take in one cat at the time and not be able to adopt a second. I was warned ahead of time by one of my friends to look out for if they are siblings and see if you can keep them together if they get along well. So when I adopt, I will try to be set for one or two just in case. I think the more I consider it I would like two who get along so that way whenever I am away from home they can entertain one another. It's the same theory my mom said she had behind having at least two kids. XD

But they are adorable cats, so I am sure someone adopted his borther really quickly!

QuatreHiead, Jul 26, 2012
  13. S.O. Price

I see. So is the reddish tinge an established characteristic or is it something random? Like a litter sired by parents who are both Flame Points, would all the kittens be Flame Points, too?

Victor Leigh, Jul 26, 2012
  14. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

Yes, the reddish tinge is a definite marking, so are the amazing blue eyes and creamy fur. I would certainly think that 2 purebreds would make exactly that. As I said, Papoose is actually a mix, so I think the shape of his head is not Siamese. Usually Siamese have more pointy heads and mouths. But his head is ok with me. He's always super handsome in my eyes!

S.O. Price, Jul 27, 2012
  15. S.O. Price

S.O. Price Active Member

I think someone probably did adopt him. Although they kept him in the basement, it was a vet's office and they always have some type of office mascot. I just always hope that they brought him up from the basement and let him hang out upstairs. Once everybody got to see him, everybody would want him...

S.O. Price, Jul 27, 2012
  16. S.O. Price

That's good to know. Considering that it's an established characteristic, I wonder if, through very tightly-controlled selective breeding, we can get something like Flaming Red Points. Are there any cat breeds that look like Flaming Red?

Victor Leigh, Jul 28, 2012
  17. S.O. Price

steph84 Well-Known Member

Aw, so cute! This is such a beautiful cat. I am sure your cat is so smart and I bet you're proud. My baby Kitty Love is very smart and it impresses all of my friends.

steph84, Aug 6, 2012
Ask a Question