I need tips and advice for taking care of new born kittens

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by erik, Mar 13, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

My cat gave birth to two tiny kittens and I want to keep them.

What are 3-5 most important things that I should learn and keep in mind in terms of taking care of the kittens and training them?

I've had a lot of cats before but they are usually outdoors where they have a lot of space to explore but now I'm living on the fifth floor apartment building...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

erik, Mar 13, 2015
  2. erik

Katt Member

Try not to touch them too much as their mom will sense your smell on them and reject them. Also, pay attention to how she treats them . My cat gave birth to 4 kittens and she hid 3 of them in different places, like a closet or under some furniture, keeping only one to breastfeed. If a cat senses one kitten is weak and may not survive, she gets rid of him in order to increase the other kittens' chances of survival ( i.e. not waste milk on a kitten that will die anyway). Nature is cruel that way.
    You just have to look out for the two kittens and they will be ok. All of my four kittens survived.

Katt, Mar 13, 2015
  3. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Wow I've never heard of that before hiding kittens in different places... I was actually surprised she only had two kittens. Her tummy was kinda big and still is.. I wonder if there were other kittens left in there..:confused:

erik, Mar 14, 2015
  4. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

When I first read your post I also thought it was odd that cat had only two kittens, but I thought that maybe she is a very old cat. I find it concerning to hear her belly is still very big, maybe she had troubles giving birth to the others? I doubt it, but it can happen. Anyway, just make sure to feed the mother well, let her do the rest. She will.

Trellum, Mar 14, 2015
  5. erik

Katt Member

Sometimes some of the kittens are born dead, so it is possible she had more.

Katt, Mar 14, 2015
  6. erik

erik Well-Known Member

She ate the dead kittens? I've had cats before and I see them eat their own placenta after giving birth. They leave very little mess behind.

erik, Mar 15, 2015
  7. erik

Katt Member

No, she didn't eat them, they were dead when she gave birth to them. It sometimes happens.

Katt, Mar 15, 2015
    erik likes this.
Ask a Question