I need some advice!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Carina Ramirez, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Carina Ramirez

Carina Ramirez New Member

I have two kittens, one I call precious & Im beginning to see dandruff like things in her fur, but then again it looks like scabs from a cut. I also notive ugly bumpy cuts, idk how shes getting them, but I knowwe have chickens outside & Iv caught her in there cage. I had a flea collar on her but I took it off yesterday because I noticed an ugly bald spot forming on her neck as if it was burning her, is that possible? I have another kitten I call her baby shea also getting those scabby things on her head as well & a few minor cuts but shes not as bad as precious, what could I do! im worried!

Carina Ramirez, Jan 23, 2012
  2. Carina Ramirez

magickat Well-Known Member

Probably best to keep them away from the chickens and keep the collar off as she may be allergic. Take them to the vet as they may have a skin condition or a parasite of some kind and it's probably pretty uncomfortable for them.

magickat, Jan 24, 2012
  3. Carina Ramirez

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I am really surprised in reading all the forums here that so many of you allow your cats outdoors. I always adopt mine from shelters and one of the prerequisite for adoption is to agree that they will only be indoors. It is so much safer! They will not get worms, boils, infected scratches and die young if they are kept indoors. I had outdoor cats when I was young, and none of them lived to a ripe old age and they were always coming home with cuts and scratches.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 25, 2012
  4. Carina Ramirez

Well I think it is pretty unnatural to keep cats indoors and shelters I have adopted from shelters before, none of which have specified that the cats be kept indoors. It is very straightforward to treat cats for worms and they can get injured inside as well! All my cats have been allowed outside and have lived to an average age of around 17..........

magickat, Jan 25, 2012
  5. Carina Ramirez

you are fortunate then. Besides it is against the rules of my park where I live and many cities too....I don't know where you live, but there are laws about letting cats and dogs roam free.

6. Carina Ramirez

There are laws about letting dogs roam free but there are no restrictions on cats - it would be impossible to regulate where they go! Dogs are kept on leads, cats have no such restraints.

magickat, Jan 25, 2012
  7. Carina Ramirez

In most cities, yes, but I live in a gated community that has a rule and there are other communities too that have adopted the rule in order to be able to pick them up and get them off the streets. We have one in here now who is causing all kinds of commotion, and I fear for him...I love cats...I would never harm any, but some people would.
    This is what our city of Mesa, AZ says:
    There are no laws regarding cats. They are allowed to roam, but be aware they may face dangers if allowed to run free. They may get taken by a coyote, hit by a car, be poisoned either intentionally or unintentionally, be trapped, or be exposed to harmful diseases such as feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency, or rabies. The life expectancy of an indoor cat is three times that of an outdoor cat.

8. Carina Ramirez

OK so it's not safe in your area, which is fair enough. But this is not the case for all areas and the tone of your original post implied that you thought anyone who lets their cat out is irresponsible - apologies if i have interpreted that incorrectly but that's how it came across.

magickat, Jan 25, 2012
  9. Carina Ramirez

My apologies too if I made you angry...actually I do not think it is irresponsible, just unsafe. I was just surprised that there are still so many of you, because my last 4 to 6 cats I adopted all made me sign something...to verify they would be indoor cats, ,,,I guess they don't go around and arrest us though if we don't adhere to it. Anyway...end of discussion on my end...sorry if I got too personal.

10. Carina Ramirez

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't have much problem with my cats roaming outdoors. Mainly because they only go outside when I am outside. As soon as I step indoors, they all come back in. Their favorite place is just sitting around me.

Victor Leigh, Jan 26, 2012
  11. Carina Ramirez

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I don't let my boys outside either but they have never shown any interest in going out. I take Bella out on a leash some times but she is way hyper and I have to do something in hopes she will burn off some energy. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  12. Carina Ramirez

It always amazes how much energy kittens have! At least you know she should calm down a bit as she gets older. How is she on the leash? My kittens hate it lol

magickat, Jan 26, 2012
Ask a Question