I love hugging and kissing the kittens but...

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by erik, May 22, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

I love hugging and kissing the kittens but...sometimes I can smell the poop in their paws especially when I play with them right after they got out of the litter box!

Any solutions or advice?

erik, May 22, 2015
  2. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, be honest and tell us how often you clean the litter box, hehe! Also...what kind of litter are you using? That never happens to me because we use a special mix, and we clean the box very often, plus Bob doesn't like to touch his poop.

Trellum, May 23, 2015
  3. erik

ellie Active Member

I've never had that issue, but like Trellum said I think it has to do with 1) how often you clean the box and 2) what kind of litter you use. I also know that some cats are more or less messy than others, so it could be your cat is a little on the messier side and is stepping in the poop rather than just burying it in the litter. My cat likes spending time outdoors sometimes, and when she comes in her paws might be muddy or otherwise dirty. I usually take a baby wipe and just wipe her paws off. Maybe try that with your cat. They don't really like their paws touched, but I think most cats will tolerate it as long as you're gentle and quick.

ellie, May 24, 2015
  4. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Well I clean it everyday in the morning! Almost... haha :| I probably need to get a bigger box because the two kittens share the same litter box and sometimes poop together at the same time.. sooo cute but twice the mess! what kind of mix do you use? I've recently changed brands and the one I use right now has much smaller and finer grains. I think it's a lot better than the previous ones

erik, May 24, 2015
  5. erik

superbobby Member

I have never tried kissing my cat. It doesn't feel clean to me.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  6. erik

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Good suggestions, thus far. Did you get a larger litter box, yet? This will help with your two kitties sharing. I posted in another thread how we have several litter boxes in different areas with my two cats sharing. Granted, it is extra work to maintain, but worth it. We shopped around to find the largest size.

I would add, maybe to wait to kiss and hug your kitties for awhile after they use the litter box. Cats and kittens generally keep themselves relatively clean. So, maybe, you just need to give them a chance to clean their paws. I bet, you have noticed how they clean their bodies by licking their paws and reaching to other parts of their body. It is sure amazing how they can reach all the areas of their body, too!

Herman&Eddie, May 31, 2015
  7. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Yeah I just found a litter box with some kind of roof on the edges and it's supposed to prevent the sands from being thrown outside the litter box. I'm gonna buy it soon :)

erik, Jun 3, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  8. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I use arm and hammer cat liter. It clumps really well. As for the cat box with the top, I still get litter on the floor. Not as much, I guess.

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
  9. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

When I got Twinkle I was clueless about cat so many times in the early days there were times when I did not clean the litter box on the days I would be gone for twelve hours at least It's those times that Twinkle would go do it in his other clean spot. Maybe a few times he did have some 'remains' but he was generally a very clean cat. He had to be as he would be all over my bed like it was his own. I always kept my wet wipes handy. I am not one for kissing a cat. Maybe it had everything to do with the fact that he brought me a mouse once or twice.

Anne, Jun 8, 2015
  10. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Haha oh no!! I guess when you haw a good mouser giving up the kisses is a sacrifice everyone has to make

LilAnn, Jun 10, 2015
  11. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

As much as I loved him, when I saw that first mouse delivered any thought of kissing went straight out the door.:) I remember the litter smelling like some remains and the few times it happened I kept a safe distance until he was wiped down. Once I understood what was involved in keeping things clean we bounded uninterrupted. We all know cats pretty much do as they please and Twinkle was no different. Sometimes when I wanted to get all lovey dovey, he would give me some ignores and do his thing.

Anne, Jun 11, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  12. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I have never met a cat that was willing to give anyone some love, when that someone wanted it. Kitty kiss likes to get in my lap when I'm trying to type. Before Comet got hit, he was ALWAYS in my lap. Every time kitty kiss saw it he would jump up and place himself between comet and my face.

LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015
  13. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

Sounds about correct LilAnn. I was quite ignorant to cats as I swore I would never want one. I mistakenly thought that dog love and cat love was similar. You said Comet got hit. What happened there? I lost my Twinkle. I hope Comet is still with you.

Anne, Jun 13, 2015
  14. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

He was supposed to be an inside cat, but discovered the doggy door. He was Siamese, and they aren't supposed to go outside. So he had no outside experience. He decided to try to cross the road at the wrong time, and got smacked in the head. And whoever did it didn't have the balls to come tell me. That bothers me so bad, too. He sat in the middle of the road for who knows how long.

LilAnn, Jun 14, 2015
  15. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

So the smack took him out altogether or he still alive with injuries? I found my Twinkle some days after he went missing. Very suspicious circumstances and it kills me to this day. I have such regrets of letting him go outside and yet I will never forget the delight he got from being able to roam the streets.One of my fondest memories of him being outdoors is one time when I came home and found him just relaxing at the side of the road at the end of my garage apparently courting a cat I dreaded seeing. He looked so happy and free. I often have visions of him there just enjoying the outdoors. He was a gem.

Anne, Jun 15, 2015
  16. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

There's definitely a difference when you put a cat out in their natural environment. It's so much fun to see them chasing a bug just like they're really experienced hunters. Lol

LilAnn, Jun 18, 2015
  17. erik

Vitani Member

Try a bigger grained litter like Worlds Best cat litter or Blue buffalo walnut litter.

Vitani, Jul 25, 2015
  18. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

You are so right. I loved to see how Twinkle used to hop and skip about and run after stuff. It was honestly a joy to watch. The sad thing is that I could not stop him scaling the wall and venturing further out . That's where the problems came and ultimately his death. It's been a while now but I still beat myself up some. I can see him now asking me to let him out and I could not say no all of the times. I'd love to have him here now and I could see myself forcing a hug from him sometimes.

Anne, Jul 25, 2015
  19. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for that! losing a pet that you really care about is just like losing a family member, or good friend. You can't blame yourself, though. If a cat wants out, they are usually only asking as a courtesy to you.

LilAnn, Aug 5, 2015
  20. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

LiAnne,you are so right about them asking as a courtesy. That little one tried everything including destroy a few window nets to get outside. It's my believe he hurt a leg jumping through a window to get out. The pain of losing him was and still is great at times but I smile often when I remember those funny things and the joy he brought me. I know I should not beat myself up but I still do at times. I am home today and it's these mornings where I miss him most. Sleeping after a long night out and watching him devour the meal that was set before him. He was a real King in this house.

Anne, Aug 5, 2015
Ask a Question