I call it emotional blackmail

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by footballtim, Sep 7, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Every time my wife and I both leave the house, our young Bengal does what a dog would do. She sits on her cat tower staring at us with a look of extreme sadness. Guess what, it works. I cannot leave the house without coming back two or even three times to pick her up once more and hug and kiss her, and also give her more treats.

It is all made possible by the fact that she knows darn well that she is very very loved.

footballtim, Sep 7, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  2. footballtim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lmao!! Awww.

My cats really couldn't care less when we leave. I think they're happy for us to get away and not be bugging them, ha. Mine occasionally seems to miss me if I'm gone for long periods, but then she gets over it pretty quick.

Jessi, Sep 7, 2012
  3. footballtim

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat Dolores doesn't even like me that much, even though I love her. So she just looks calm and continues doing whatever she's doing when I leave. Dolores is a grouch, but I'm still loyal to her, because a pet is a lifetime commitment, even if your pet is a jerk.

ACSAPA, Sep 7, 2012
  4. footballtim

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Cats can be little sods. They will make you feel rotten when they know it works, and give you the big YOU DON'T LOVE ME eyes. OR, everything gets pee'd on, when you leave them alone. Perhaps you'll find a poo in one of your slippers, or worse, in the folds of your bed. Puke in your clean laundry, just about any hideous feline bodily function you can imagine.

The cat I have right now, is very well behaved, but in the past I've had cats do all manner of horrors because I dared to go out for ten minutes just to get milk or something.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 7, 2012
  5. footballtim

kalasin Member

Mine doesn't care when we leave, but she does act really pathetic when the suitcases come out. She doesn't really care either way when we get home either. My cat sitter has 3 cats of her own and sometimes I think she likes the sitter better!

kalasin, Sep 9, 2012
  6. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

One of our cats started this thing now where she claws at the glass on the door repeatedly like she's trying to get out, when one of us is outside. It's weird because once we're back in the house, she can often care less about us.

OhioTom76, Sep 9, 2012
  7. footballtim

Yolanda Well-Known Member

We have two cats that do the same and they also wait for us to return from work sitting behind our kitchen window. When they see us coming they start purring and meowing, very sweet! It's fun to see when one of us is already home and before we have noticed they already anounce that our partner is coming. They don't act the same around neighbors coming in so they do really recognize us and are happy to see us :)

Yolanda, Sep 9, 2012
  8. footballtim

andrew320 Well-Known Member

Ha! How adorable! I guarantee this would happen to me, but we're luck because we have an apartment door and we don't see the window when we're leaving. We were thinking of moving to the one bedroom that faces the street and we would see the boys if we either entered the building or left. So this guilt trip or emotional blackmail would definitely work on me and maybe my fiancee.

andrew320, Sep 27, 2012
  9. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats are the same! Pussington starts walking about and letting out soft little meows, and Im like "Come here Puss Puss" she comes running over and rolls over to be picked up. Complete blackmail!!

Scottyxx, Sep 28, 2012
  10. footballtim

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Mine don't move a muscle when I go to leave the house but when I come back, even if I've only left for 10 minutes, you'd think I'd been gone for years the way they meow and carry on and wrap themselves around me!!

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 30, 2012
  11. footballtim

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Yea, my three, (now four) cats punish us if we dare go on a stay-cation. Seriously, we go to a motel across town, (hot-tub, pool, cable TV, we don't have any of that), so that we can go back home and feed and take care of them on a daily basis. We are completely controlled by the little monsters. When we return from our across town get-away, they punish us by ignoring us. But I have the secret weapon--Moroccan sardines. And soon, they forget they are angry and make up to us. Sometimes, you just have to fight fire with...fish.

Kay Dougall, Apr 3, 2015
  12. footballtim

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm not new to kitty blackmail :p My Bob (ever since he became a purely indoors cat) always tries to make me feel guilty when he knows I'm going out, specially the weekends. He just stares at me looking so sad, he then rubs his body against my legs when I'm leaving, as if saying pleaaase stayyy! He meouws a lot :D It's funny!

Trellum, Apr 4, 2015
  13. footballtim

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha!!!! I think most cats are divas! The way your cats behave when you come back, that is how my Bob behaves when I take a little too long to come back home. When I open the door he won't even look at me!!! He'll pretend I don't exist, lol. That lasts til the next day :p

Trellum, Apr 4, 2015
Ask a Question