Human foods that are rich in taurine?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by erik, May 11, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

I've recently read the Pottinger's cat study (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_M._Pottenger,_Jr.) and I'm wondering what are the kind of human foods that are rich in taurine? I usually feed my cat with the same food that I eat...

If anyone is curious about Pottinger's cats, the take away is :
    cooked meat and pasteurized milk = bad for kitty
    raw meat and raw milk = good for kitty :)

erik, May 11, 2015
  2. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

Not hard to find, most foods with animal protein are a good source of taurine, even fish. Eggs and yeast are also good sources of taurine. So as you can see this amino acid isn't that hard to find.

Trellum, May 12, 2015
  3. erik

ellie Active Member

That's interesting, I'll have to read that. I don't like giving my pets food out of the bag, but I never really thought about alternatives. I buy the best store bought food I can buy. I remember my dad used to cook chicken and rice for his dog, but I never thought about feeding my cat people food. It sounds healthier, even if it's a little more expensive. I'll have to look into that.

ellie, May 24, 2015
  4. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Well that's good to know! My cats won't eat eggs tho... but they do eat a lot of meat! Particularly chicken and beef and occasional roaches and small spiders :)

erik, May 24, 2015
  5. erik

Roaches and small spider are full of protein ;) I'm not sure, but I'd bet you can find some Taurine in them as well, because well, if they didn't then how would cats without an owner survive? Where could they get it from apart from the mice and other small prey? So I really think cats can find their taurine in those ''foods'' as well ;p I'd not let your cats eat mice tho, my in laws cat eats a lot mice, but last year they forgot to deworm it and he got worms... not a nice sight!

Trellum, Jun 4, 2015
  6. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Oh man that's gross I hope they are okay. I actually have never seen a cat eat a mouse yet, I see cats hunt them down, play with it and let it die a slow painful death :0 but after the mouse is dead they usually lose interest and leave it alone...

erik, Jun 5, 2015
  7. erik

Well Erik, the cat I was talking about was kinda wild, he is not very social and won't retract his nails while playing with humans. So this kind of cats do like to play with the prey, but also eat it. Sadly mice are plagued by parasites.

Trellum, Jun 5, 2015
Ask a Question