How well do cats get along with other cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I know that sometimes cats will become best friends with each other, especially if they are introduced to each other at a young age. However, what if your cat is practically an adult cat. Lets say he or she is 5 or 6 years old. How well do you think the cat would respond if you introduced another cat into the house? Do you think it depends on the cat's personality, or do you think it depends on the breed?

dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Beth23 Well-Known Member

I do think it depends on the cats personality. My cats dont like any other adult cat coming around. Kittens they have never had a problem with. Chipper the female takes right to them. Kiki tolerates them.

Beth

Beth23, Aug 19, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

It definitely depends on the personality. For mine, she hated the new cat. I think the younger cat, though, would do just fine with bringing in another cat. She gets along with the dog and is curious about the cats that are outside. I don't think it'd cause any problems at all.

Jessi, Aug 19, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat Dolores is the only cat I have right now because my other cat ran away 2 years ago when I left the door open. When I did have both cats, they used to lie down curled together like a yin yang symbol and be lazy together. I guess they got along because I rarely saw them fight.

ACSAPA, Aug 22, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

footballtim Well-Known Member

Our older cat, Tabitha had been an only child as far as cats are concerned. But we got a Bengal almost two years ago. We were worried about them getting along because they are both females, but we were able to properly introduce them to each other within a day of getting the Bengal. They get along great, but because the older cat is elderly with kidney disease, Phoebe the Bengal tries to get Tabitha the Manx to play, and Tabitha will occasionally hiss, which is her way of telling Phoebe that she does not feel like playing. Phoebe knows not to feel hurt, because she knows her sister is an old lady. Other than that, they kiss on the nose a lot, and sometimes lick each others ears.

footballtim, Aug 22, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

nikki Well-Known Member

I also think its all personality. My Rosie likes everyone but Lulu no way. They dont usually like younger females or older males. Guess I have cougar cats

nikki, Aug 22, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

My older Manx, Tabitha, on the left, gets along great with my younger Bengal, Phoebe. They hit it off within a day of being introduced to each other. The only time Tabitha hisses at Phoebe is when she is telling Phoebe that she simply does not have the energy to play. Phoebe always understands and goes about her merry way with a perfect understanding that Tabitha is elderly. Phoebe never pushes it.

footballtim, Aug 24, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

supergirl Member

My cat has never had a problem getting on with other cats herself, although there is one in the neighbourhood who has taken an extreme disliking to her. She comes home occasionally with scratches on her face. Poor thing is now missing a tiny chunk of her ear. I also think that foxes may be partially responsible for this as well!

supergirl, Aug 25, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

I am one of those people who does not like leaving my cats outside. Way too many bad things can happen, and I would constantly worry. I make sure they have plenty of window views. However, as I stated in previous posts, I really spoil them with pet stroller rides at night when it cools off here in Key West. Of course it will be awhile before the next rides because of hurricane Isaac.

footballtim, Aug 25, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

supergirl Member

I don't have a flat big enough to leave my cat inside all day. I know a lot of bad things can happen outside but that is life. I don't want to leave her trapped in doors all day just because I worry. Ultimately she is a cat and is able to look after herself. I guess I'm a mother who doesn't worry a huge amount and I'm sure she's learnt her lessons to not mess with the foxes!

supergirl, Aug 26, 2012
Ask a Question