How we see dog vs cat breeds

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Jessi, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lol!

While I'm sure most of us can pick out some specific cat breeds like Siamese, it's kinda true that we're more likely to refer to dogs by breed name than we do cats.

Jessi, Apr 15, 2012
  2. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

hahaha! I agree. I usually have no clue what type of cat crosses my path. I usually have to head on over to google to find out.

steph84, Apr 15, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I wonder if part of it simply because there are so many "mutts" out there. With dogs, you can sort of pick out distinct features of different breeds and pinpoint, "hey, that looks like a lab-husky mix," but with cats, the features are so diluted and muted that you can't really tell.

Jessi, Apr 15, 2012
  4. Jessi

Becky Well-Known Member

It's also interesting how dogs vary in shape and size by a huge degree - you just don't get that with cats. Whilst some may have long faces and others have squashed ones, they still share very similar characteristics.

Becky, Apr 16, 2012
  5. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think one main reason why dog breeds show more differentiation than cat breeds is that dog breeds basically start off by being selectively bred for working purposes. So, for example, a different size and shape of dog is needed for hunting badgers as compared to the size and shape needed to hunt lions. For cats, they are basically bred for show. I haven't heard of cats bred for catching big mice and cats bred for catching small mice.

Victor Leigh, Apr 17, 2012
  6. Jessi

Becky Well-Known Member

That is a very good point Victor! I'd never thought of it like that before. I suppose if you turn back the clock far enough all dogs originate from something quite wolf-like.

Becky, Apr 20, 2012
  7. Jessi

According to my good friend, Google, dogs were descended from gray wolves which were domesticated about 15,000 years ago. Now tell me, which of the following is a dog and which is a wolf:

A.
    [​IMG]

B.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  8. Jessi

Becky Well-Known Member

Is A a wolf?

Becky, Apr 23, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, the first one is a wolf. The latter looks like it might be a Siberian husky. They definitely have some similarities.

Jessi, Apr 23, 2012
  10. Jessi

You are all real smart cookies. Yes, the first one is an honest-to-goodness wild wolf. The second one is a Siberian Husky. If I am not mistaken, his name is Max and he was one of the canine stars in Eight Below.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
Ask a Question