How to name a cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Cats have unique personalities like human being do. Mothers tend to try to name their babies unique names that will carry them through their life. Naming a cat can be as interesting as naming a baby. A cat owner can think of their cats personality, and try to fit a name accordingly. A cat is a special type of animal. They can be gentle, or a little on the wild side, like farm cats tend to be. Names can describe a fast cat, to any other type of cat.

Jenny Heart, Mar 30, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

btatro Well-Known Member

Every cat I have known and owned certainly was unique. Our names, however, usually came from visual cues. Our black and white cat, for example, reminded us of Sylvester , but was a girl so we named her Sylvia. Now that I have kids they can name the outdoor cats that live nearby whatever they choose. Needless to say, we have lots of "brownie" and "blacky"s

btatro, Mar 31, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

When we had outside cats that were previously wild, we always named them based on personality, color, traits, whatever. They were around and we knew them for quite a while before ever giving them nicknames. When getting a brand new kitten, it's hard to tell what they're going to be like, though, so often the name just gets picked based on what we feel like calling them at the time.

Jessi, Mar 31, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats I name by relating to their physical attributes. Like Hitler was named such because of a black marking on his snout which makes him look like he has a toothbrush mustache. Green Seven was named for the color of her eyes and the crook in her tail. My dogs, however, are named after flowers.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
Ask a Question