how to introuduce a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Pearlypops, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Pearlypops

Pearlypops New Member

Hi all, im just looking for some advice on how to introduce my new kitten to my 1 year old cat. I have put them together but while the new kitten was in a cat carrier, and my 1 year old cat stood there for a couple of mins hissing at it then walked away. How am i to take this behaviour? when can I introduce them without the cat carrier? any info on how I should go about getting them use to eachother etc. thanks for reading,,

Pearl

Pearlypops, Aug 5, 2011
  2. Pearlypops

luvmypets Member

I read a chapter in a book about this when I went through the same thing.

I took a month to introduce Oliver to Thomas. Yes, it took that long! I kept Oliver in my room. Food, water, and litter. I put Oliver in a crate and set the create in the kitchen and let Thomas sniff and hiss. I did this only a few moments at a time.

Over time I let Oliver out. Thomas rejected him and they fought. Again, I did this over time and for longer periods of time each day.

One time I made the mistake of feed putting Thomas' food out in the cellar and fed the dogs in the kitchen while Oliver watched. Then I picked up Oliver and put him in my room to eat. Alone.

A month later all was well. Now, Oliver hates closed doors. He and Thomas are the best of friends and the dogs, sadly, have passed on.

luvmypets, Dec 3, 2011
  3. Pearlypops

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Well, we have 6 cats and we just put them in a room together and they because to sniff and play with each other. Now they are all like brothers and sisters, it is so cute!

Wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
  4. Pearlypops

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I locked the twins in the bathroom (with food and water and a box, of course) for the couple of days that I had them. I'd go in there and play with them and give them towels and things to sleep on so that I could bring them out into the house and make the house smell more like them and I'd also bring in the things that the older cats slept on so that the twins could get used to the other cats' smells. The only time the twins came out for the first few days was when I was holding them. There were still a few problems, but they sorted it out pretty easily.

Wallie0921, Dec 6, 2011
  5. Pearlypops

magickat Well-Known Member

It will take some time but your other cat should get used to the kitten eventually, especially if not perceived as a threat so it is important to make sure they have their own food bowls etc. It can also help to handle your kitten as much as possible as it will help it to smell more like you which can reassure the older cat.

magickat, Dec 7, 2011
Ask a Question