How to get your cat to sleep the night

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by BeautifulAngel, Jul 30, 2012.

1. BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

My boyfriend and I just recently got a kitten and she has a difficult time sleeping during the night time. We've tried to get her tired before bed and she still wakes up at 6 am every morning wanting to play. We're not sure what to do since we've tried the spray bottle and also making loud noises as well as trying to cuddle her/ pet her to calm her down.

Any advice or help is really appreciated!

Thank you!

BeautifulAngel, Jul 30, 2012
  2. BeautifulAngel

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Why do you want you cat to sleep at night? My cats do not sleep at night. They sleep during the day. Night time is hunting time. So they have to be awake at night.

Victor Leigh, Aug 1, 2012
  3. BeautifulAngel

Because I find the kitten really disruptive if we let her stay up during the night and if we close our bedroom door she will sit at the door and meow until we let her in. I need to get a good night sleep because I need to work almost everyday and it can get tiring if I don't get enough rest.

Thanks

BeautifulAngel, Aug 3, 2012
  4. BeautifulAngel

I see. In that case, would your kitten be happy to sleep in a basket on its own near your bed? Put some of your old clothes in the basket. It might help your kitten to feel more comfortable.

Victor Leigh, Aug 4, 2012
  5. BeautifulAngel

steph84 Well-Known Member

I would wrap my fickle kitty in my flannel sweater and rock him to sleep like a little baby. Any time he would get restless I would do this and it would work.

steph84, Aug 6, 2012
  6. BeautifulAngel

You really do that? I hope it doesn't become a habit. Human babies who are rocked to sleep usually cannot sleep unless they are rocked. Hope the same thing doesn't apply to your kitty.

Victor Leigh, Aug 6, 2012
  7. BeautifulAngel

Here is an updated on my kitten:

My kitten is now sleeping the nights happily and doesn't usually wake up unless either my boyfriend and I get up.

The trick I use is to not let her sleep too much during the day (unless she gets medication from the vet and it makes her tired) and about an hour or so before my boyfriend and I go to bed we play with her to make her exhausted and want to sleep at night.

Thanks for all the tips and help, I really appreciate them all!

BeautifulAngel, Aug 9, 2012
  8. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

Glad you got her on a decent schedule then! It's pretty normal for them to wake up on and off throughout the day and night, but I can see how it'd be disruptive if you're trying to sleep. An alternative might've been to keep her in a different room at night so she wouldn't come and meow at your door.

Jessi, Aug 10, 2012
  9. BeautifulAngel

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Cats are nocturnal. This is when they are most active especially when young. You can try to make them sleep at night but it will be hard because it go's against their nature and instincts. I agree with Jesse, keep your kitten in another room thats safe for her to play in. I think 6 AM is pretty good. My cat wakes me at 3 AM like clock work every morning.

Beth23, Aug 11, 2012
  10. BeautifulAngel

nikki Well-Known Member

Try leaving the light on in the room it is in. That should mess up the nocturnal thing and hopefully it will behave and not try to hunt all night. There really isnt much you can do though.

nikki, Aug 14, 2012
  11. BeautifulAngel

footballtim Well-Known Member

I think a lot has to do with how much you interact with your cat. It seems to me that the more you personally interact with your cat, the more they are in tune with you and know when it is bed time. I know cats are nocturnal, so I know that this does not always help. Also, some breeds of cats are more able to be in tune with their owners than other breeds. You should try to wear your cat down during the day as much as possible if you have not tried that already.

footballtim, Aug 28, 2012
Ask a Question