How to calm my cat?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Tess, May 15, 2015.

?

Which Calming Item Do You Like?

Poll closed May 25, 2015.
  1. Comfort Zone Feliway Cat Diffuser Kit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SENTRY® GOOD Behavior® Lavender Chamomile Cat Calming Collar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SENTRY® GOOD Behavior® Lavender Chamomile Cat Calming Spray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tess

Tess New Member

Hi,

I have two cats named Mimi and Baby. Mimi is 4 yrs and Baby is 3yrs. They fight constantly. Every time they pass each other they have to fight. After they fight Baby has to go and go to the bathroom on the floor. I really need that to stop. Please help.

Thanks,
    Tess

P.S. On the poll if there is something that you like to use that is not on here please post it on this thread. My avatar is Baby.

Tess, May 15, 2015
  2. Tess

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, I wish, I could help you out with your two cats not getting along. All of our other cats got along fine. I think because we either got them at the same time, or they were both young upon meeting. They played together and even slept curdled up next to each other. So, much to our surprise Herman was not pleased (pretty sure I posted their relationship in another post). Needless, to say it has been over a few years and Herman has not warmed up to Eddie. Eddie use to try. Sad to say; nowadays Eddie has basically stopped trying.

Now, when it comes to your poll, I could not vote. I have never heard of any of these products that helped calm a cat down. Of course, maybe catnip. Still this does not help our two cats get along. Have your tried any of these products, yet. Speaking of having accidents on the floor, neither of my cats do this or any of our past cats, either. I hope someone else can offer some advise. I guess, the reason for my response is just to let you know, I can relate to cats not being best buddies.I must say, after reading your post, I am thankful that at least my Eddie and Herman tolerate each other, only batting, not really fighting to the extent I need to worry.

Herman&Eddie, May 16, 2015
  3. Tess

Trellum Well-Known Member

Are both of them neutered? How long have they been living together? I'm sorry to say this, but if they have been living together for more than two years, then odds are they're not compatible with each other. Specially if they are neutered, because this sounds like they have a territorial problem.

Trellum, May 19, 2015
  4. Tess

Tess New Member

Hi,

In reply to Trellum...

Yes, both are neutered. They have been living together since Baby was seven weeks old. About a year and a half ago they were so very friendly. They used to sleep together on the cat pole. They never fought back then.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In reply to Herman and Eddie...

Catnip for Baby makes her pupils get really big and black and makes her very weird. I never like to give catnip to her. If I sprinkle catnip on the ground somewhere, Mimi will go to it, sniff it and then lay down and roll in it. I do not think catnip works for my cats. I have not tried any of the products I listed. I hear hissing at least once a day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone else on this forum knows of other products that are not listed here please post them. I think I am going to try the Cat Calming Collar. Once I get it I will let you know if it works.

Thanks,
    Tess

Tess, May 22, 2015
  5. Tess

ellie Active Member

I knew someone who worked in a health food store, and she would often give me pet advice. Tink was never a difficult cat, but we used to have a cat (Tiana..yes I like Disney names) who was just off the rails. My friend suggested I give her dried chamomile tea leaves to eat. I Googled it really quickly and from what I hear it's perfectly safe, I just don't know how much luck you would have getting them to eat tea leaves lol.

ellie, May 28, 2015
  6. Tess

Anne Well-Known Member

Anne, May 29, 2015
  7. Tess

MER Well-Known Member

My resident cat is 1 yr old this month, female, spayed. Brought home a 8 wk old, male (not yet fixed). The male wants to play with the female but she can't really be bothered. At first introduction, Gemma (res cat) sniffed, hissed, and ran. After research, I but Rosco (new guy) in a room to himself for a few days letting him out for a few hours everyday. After 3 days or so, Gemma started becoming more accepting to Rosco. She still growls and swats at Rosco, some of it play and some of it annoyance. I bought some calming paste that you apply to cats paws for them to lick off and its suppose to calm them down a bit. Gemma's attitude towards me went down hill after bringing Rosco home. Still trying to improve that relationship. Gemma sleeps with me but swats, nips, and growls at me after a few strokes. The calming stuff relaxes her some, perhaps not giving her enough. I don't know. But there are products out there that should help. I don't know if its too late in your situation or not.

MER, Sep 2, 2015
  8. Tess

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have never heard of any of these products so I can't comment on them but I do have two cats. For the most part they do get along now but it wasn't always like that. They couldn't pass each other without fighting. I was at wits end but over time they seemed to adjust to each other. They still have the odd spat and there at days when they seem to fight all day but I just compare it to siblings. Siblings don't always get along but they still love each other.

Susan Brown, Sep 5, 2015
  9. Tess

MER Well-Known Member

I would like to think that they are playing together and not "fight" fighting when they do play together. I figuer as look as there's no fur flying around, their playing. On the other hand, I witnessed this morning that Rosco (pictured) had his tail puffed up. Perhaps a little bit to rough this morning?

MER, Sep 8, 2015
Ask a Question