How to calm an angry cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.wikihow.com/Calm-Your-Angry-Cat

The pictures are brilliantly funny but they have some good advice, too.

I've had my cats flip out before and it's not pleasant at all. Usually all you can do is make sure there's food and water nearby and give them distance. Trying to approach them just leads to disaster.

Jessi, Mar 22, 2012
  2. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

When my cats get upset, I just leave them alone. Once they have got over whatever that stirred their ire, they would be back to their loving selves. Especially at feeding time.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2012
  3. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

I never ever try to approach an angry cat. I have learned the hard way as a child. They are just not having it and so you should just stay away. This is so true for cats who are angry and hiding under a bed. Keep your hands out of there! They will bite and scratch you in an instant.

steph84, Mar 27, 2012
  4. Jessi

If you must approach an angry cat, here's tip. Get a big and thick towel. Throw it over the cat. Presto! You have a cat in the bag.

Victor Leigh, Mar 31, 2012
  5. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

How to calm an angry cat: leave him or her alone! Kitty will come to you when she is ready. I used to be able to tempt out cat with the hairbrush as she just loved to be brushed.

btatro, Mar 31, 2012
  6. Jessi

Hair brushes won't work with mine. They think they are going to get a spanking. Shaking the cat food tin works all the time. Even if they are outside.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I agree people should stay away from angry cats. Angry cats can be thought of the same as angry people. People get angry, and they need and want space. Cats are the same in this instance. You could try playing one of those cat relaxation tapes. Just keep your distance until you feel the air around you feeling calmer.

Jenny Heart, Apr 7, 2012
  8. Jessi

That's interesting. I haven't heard any of those cat relaxation tapes. What's the content like? Music? Or soft purring sounds?

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  9. Jessi

Ella Bella Member

I was going to suggest some soft singing or breaking out the cat nip but letting them be seems to be the most sensible idea. I know my cat has a thing for minty scents but I'm not sure if it has a calming effect on her. I wonder how do cats react to lavender. It's been said that lavender can help tame lions and tigers.

Ella Bella, Apr 10, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never heard of cat relaxation tapes either. I've heard of ones for humans, of course, but cats tend to prefer things to be quiet, I'd think. I don't know what they'd want to hear that would actually relax them. Maybe the sounds of catnip being dumped out or something? lol

Jessi, Apr 11, 2012
  11. Jessi

footballtim Well-Known Member

I am lucky. I have never had this problem with my younger Bengal. However, my older Manx, Tabitha (on your left) once kept growling when I picked her up, and she scratched me in the face.

Now, don't get me wrong, even though she had been abused by her previous owners who had her for eight years, she is a sweet animal. She has kidney disease, and at the time this happened, we had just started treatment.

I later found out that when an animal is sick, they may do things that they would otherwise never do. Now that we have Tabitha's health under control, she is more affectionate than ever before.

footballtim, Sep 9, 2012
  12. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat is a grouch anyway under normal circumstances, so it's hard to tell when she's mad. But if I detect a hint of her being on the warpath, I give her a lot of space and back away slowly.

ACSAPA, Sep 10, 2012
  13. Jessi

Hmm, that sounds like a plan. Maybe we can make a tape of other soothing sounds like the sound of a can of tuna being opened. Or the sound of a packet of fish and chips being unpacked. Or the sound of a trash can being knocked over.

Victor Leigh, Sep 10, 2012
  14. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know how your cats are, but mine wouldn't find those "soothing." In fact, those are the very sounds that get them very excited. The sound of a tuna can is the one thing that will make my cat wake up and come running, lol. I guess it might distract from the anger some, but I don't know if that counts as "calming/soothing."

Jessi, Sep 10, 2012
  15. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point about "redirected aggression" because we have two people in our household who are constantly yelling and causing a commotion about anything and everything. I'm wondering now if it has anything to do with our one cat constantly attacking our other cat. They're pretty calm when the loudmouths in our household aren't around.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
  16. Jessi

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I've never seen a cat get calmed down. I've only ever seen one calm down on its own. I let them hide wherever they want to hide and they'll come out when they're ready.

LilAnn, May 26, 2015
  17. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

This might sound silly, but my SO forgot to open the door for the cat one night. So the cat spent the whole night outside. He seemed quite angry at him, lol! It's amazing how cats can be so aware of everything.

Trellum, May 29, 2015
  18. Jessi

superbobby Member

I just leave them alone. The last thing I want in my house is a spoiled cat.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
Ask a Question