How to be an awesome cat parent

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Here is another useful infograph, the perfect guide for those cat owners who still might have some doubts regarding the care of their cat and how to be a great cat parent ;)

[​IMG]

Trellum, Dec 24, 2015
  2. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I got ..you are an awesome pet owner. I try my best to be the best cat parent that I can be. They are my babies and they depend on me. I don't want to let them down.

Susan Brown, Dec 24, 2015
  3. Trellum

I'm not the best cat parent, but I try to do my best ;) I think it's important to learn more and more about how to take care of our feline friends :) That is why I love reading this kind of stuff.

Trellum, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I am a little teary eyed reading this especially at the end. Number 10 sort of did it for me as I still beat myself up sometimes for letting Twinkle roam the streets. The one thing I didn't do was brush his teeth daily. That would have been quite a task. I am really surprised by that suggestion.

Anne, Jan 23, 2016
  5. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

You shouldn't feel badly about that. There are a lot of outdoor cats. Twinkle enjoyed the outdoors. I am sorry for what happened but don't beat yourself up over it. Twinkle had a good life for the time that you two had together. You were the best mom you could be. Hugs

Susan Brown, Jan 29, 2016
  6. Trellum

Don't worry! Most cat owners I know in the Netherlands let their cats roam freely in the streets, so they don't have to get them a litter box and sand (they're really cheap), in my country most cats roam free too, but mostly because most people think cats belong more outside than inside :) So please don't feel bad :) Bad things happen, we can't control that. You just wanted your kitty to be happy and free. I'd like to do the same in the Netherlands.

Trellum, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Thanks. You are so right about wanting him to have a some freedom. He really loved being outside sometimes and I must confess I did not mind not having to clean the litter. Sometimes I would sit and wonder where he was pooping. Sometimes when I am at home I can see him in my mind's eye sitting at the window and looking longingly at the outdoors. The memories.......Another thing I just noticed is that strings are unsafe for cats. I used to love watch Twinkle play with the strings from my venetian blinds.

Anne, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Trellum

stillsmallworld.com Member

I totally don't brush their teeth :( I know I should, but I just don't. I have seen the things you can put on your finger, but I feel like I'd also lose a finger if I attempted this with my babies. Also, one of my cats will totally run away if you attempt to go anywhere near them with a brush, but my chunky female LOVES brushes and will brush herself if you hold it out to her.

stillsmallworld.com, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Trellum

MER Well-Known Member

Dental treatment today as compared to the 70's seems to be a lot bigger issue now. When I was growing up, we use to never worry about their teeth. Now's it practically all you hear about.

Rosco and Gemma are the second pair of indoor cats I've had. This time around, I start feeling really bad about keeping them locked up in the house. I'm sure they're going stir-crazy. We buy them toys and they scattered all over the house. I don't think my wife plays with the babies as much as I do while I'm at work. Rosco follows me everywhere when I get up in the morning and return home from work. He's very attached to me.

We live a bit out in the country and my wife is afraid the cats would get bugs and too dirty going outside. I'm more worried about bigger birds (hawks) swooping them up and having a feast, or snakes, and larger 4 legged critters running around here.

MER, Jun 20, 2016
  10. Trellum

Novelangel Active Member

I think this new obsession with cat's teeth is absurd. I'm in my late 40's now,and I've had dozens of pet cats over the years and exactly one of them ever had gingivitis. His was a severe chronic situation that could not be treated except by tooth extraction and ongoing medication. Even then, with most of his teeth removed, he still had gum infections that were very nearly uncontrollable. The Veterinarian told us there was nothing we could have done for him, including tooth brushing. He was a difficult animal to work with in such a way anyway, so it would have been nearly impossible to brush his teeth if we'd tried. If there is a sudden problem with our cats' teeth, it's probably due to what they eat. If they are getting poorly developed food, or inappropriate foods, they might suffer from dental diseases, but if they eat what they're supposed to, they don't have much trouble at all. I guess that should be a lesson for all of us. And as for feeling your cat's ribs... I can't stand a bony animal. Sorry, but nope. I'm not going to starve my cat so I can feel her ribs. She's not fat, she's very muscular and solid and I plan to keep her that way.

Novelangel, Jun 23, 2016
  11. Trellum

cluckeyo Active Member

These are good tips! I guess I have 3 cats now. My mom's cat is really starting to take up with me when I am at their house. The other night she jumped on the back to the chair and got me in a headlock. Real tight too, lol. She was just being playful I think!

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
Ask a Question