How old is my cat in human years?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

While many people believe idea that cats (and dogs) age seven years for every one year, it simply is not true.

Cats age faster when they're younger and then more slowly as they get older so there is not a straight formula like seven years for every one year to determine the age of your cat in human years.

There is no reliable scientific method for calculating exactly how old your cat is in human years, and depending on the source the calculation will vary somewhat. However, experts generally agree that the first two years of a cat's life are roughly equal to the first 24 of a human’s.

After the first two years, each additional year equals approximately four human years.

Life stages in cats

The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) further states that there are six stages to a cat’s life:

Stage 1 is the Kitten Stage and lasts from birth to six months.

Stage 2 is the Junior Stage and lasts from 7 months to 2 years.

Stage 3 is the Prime Stage and lasts from 3 years to 6 years.

Stage 4 is the Mature Stage and lasts from 7 years to 10 years.

Stage 5 is the Senior Stage and lasts from 11 years to 14 years.

Stage 6 is the Geriatric Stage and lasts from 15 years to death.

http://www.examiner.com/article/how...d=PROG-PetsBlock1-Article-HowOldCatHumanYears

Trellum, Mar 29, 2015
  2. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Sadly my dear Twinkle was only somewhere between Stage 1 & 2. I had hope we would grow old together. It's right about this time on that fateful Sunday evening that I found her.

Thanks for the post. It's quite an interesting read.

Anne, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Trellum

erik Well-Known Member

My two new born kittens went from these tiny fragile little creatures into cute overweight kitties in less than a month! It's true that they age relatively faster when they're young. They could breed early in their life but then they slowly age as the years pass by.

erik, Mar 30, 2015
  4. Trellum

That is nice, Erik! When are we going to meet them? I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your little ones :) I bet they're really gorgeous! I just can't resist kittens when they are just babies!!!! They're adorable!!!

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  5. Trellum

So yesterday was the anniversary of twinkle's death? So sorry to hear that, those days are always so hard to handle that and the birthday of the pet or person who died :(

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  6. Trellum

erik Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about Twinkie Anne... Have you considered adopting another cat in place of Twinkie? I guess she will forever have a place in your heart my first cat was Nermal but she died a long time ago when I was still a kid but I still have vivid memories of her:)

erik, Mar 30, 2015
  7. Trellum

erik Well-Known Member

Hey Trellum I'll post some pics soon :) They've recently opened their eyes for the first time! Damn I should have captured that moment... I need to get a new phone with some good camera!

erik, Mar 30, 2015
  8. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I just spent the last 30 mins trying to find some photos of Twinkle when she came home in my son's palms. Surprisingly I can find none of those true kitten pictures. Even though I thought I hated cats I could not help but marvel at this sweet little thing and the rest is history. Do find some pics to post Erik. We would like that.
    Thank you for your kind support. When he died I swore never another. I never wanted to feel that pain again, but by talking about it in forums I started to entertain the idea but I am still in no rush. I know none will affect me like Twinkle did but still I suppose I should not shut myself off completely. The funny thing is that my son just went and got me into a bit of a "pickle". Just as I was thinking that just maybe I'll find room in my heart for a cat, he goes and gets me another dog bringing the number to 4 and I am pulling my grey hairs out. In human years I am looking like sixty when I am closer to 50. My hands are full.

Anne, Mar 30, 2015
  9. Trellum

Awesome! I've a weakness for small cats, lol. Specially the ones who recently opened their eyes, they look like the most adorable things ever, wit those bright little eyes and those tiny paws!!!

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
Ask a Question