How often do you clean the litterbox?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BeautifulAngel, Jun 1, 2012.

1. BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

How often do you clean your cats litterbox?

Also how often do you put in new kittylitter?

When I had my kitten, I would try to clean it as often as I could. I hated the smell and I felt bad for my kitten. But I would only change the kittylitter once every week.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 1, 2012
  2. BeautifulAngel

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how many cats you have and which litter you use. I have 2 cats so I clean it out twice a day and I use scoopable litter so I never need to empty the whole thing just add more as it goes down. I have used the regular litter that you can't scoop before but I just couldn't get over the smell either. The scoopable stuff costs more but as you don't ever need to empty it completely it is just as cheap as the other. One box about 30 pounds will last me for about a month if not more.

I did just pick up a bag of the corn fiber litter to see if it would change anything for my little asthmatic Mouth but so far I haven't seen any difference. When I first put it down he didn't like the smell at all but as the smell dissipated a little he did use it. I noticed that the last time he got out of it though, he sneezed. So I am thinking I will have to put it away.

HappyRocinante, Jun 1, 2012
  3. BeautifulAngel

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I personally don't clean the litter (I'm pregnant.. yay for me lol), but when I did it would be once a day. It's really not a hard chore though.. the only part I hate is having to take the waste down to 3 stories all the way to the other side of the apartment to throw it away.

Belligerent, Jun 1, 2012
  4. BeautifulAngel

Congratulations on being pregnant! How far along are you?

And yes sometimes cleaning the litterbox can be a pain in the butt, I used to live in an aparment as well and it was only on the second floor and it was a pain so I can just imagine how annoying it must be for you!

BeautifulAngel, Jun 4, 2012
  5. BeautifulAngel

violino Well-Known Member

Every other day, I think.

I put a little of it every time I clean it. I clean it whole (like wash it) and put totally new cat-litter once a month maybe, when I see it's time ;)

violino, Jun 4, 2012
  6. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's supposed to get scooped clean daily but that doesn't always happen. I think in terms of changing the litter completely, that tends to happen more like once a week, maybe a little longer, depending on how the litter appears. We regularly add more throughout the week as it gets scooped anyway, so that sort of stretches how long in between needing to change it entirely.

Jessi, Jun 5, 2012
  7. BeautifulAngel

steph84 Well-Known Member

I clean it every day around 7 p.m. after I am out back feeding my dogs. I just make it part of my routine because I have three indoor cats and that could get stinky or out of hand if I miss a day.

steph84, Jun 8, 2012
  8. BeautifulAngel

Indeed! My ex and I only had 2 cats and it stunk soo bad even after one day without cleaning out the litter. It sure can stink up fast especially when you have more than one cat.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 8, 2012
  9. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

No doubt. I've found that food can really affect the smell, too. One of our cats used to be particularly smelly so you could smell it all through the house immediately, ew!

Jessi, Jun 8, 2012
  10. BeautifulAngel

S.O. Price Active Member

I have 3 cats and 5 litter boxes that the cats can use. I only clean them out once a week, but when I do, I completely dump on the old litter and start fresh with a little baking soda on the bottom and then a thin layer of clay litter. I used to go through one time in between complete changes and "tidy up" but I got lazy! Most of the time I do not notice any odor unless it is summertime when the temperature goes up. If it gets too warm, it does seem to create more odor and I might change a box or two more often.

It's funny how you can find out which boxes are the "favorites" and which are the least popular. I only have one box that is covered and all 3 of my cats generally use it only as a last resort. Their favorite is out in the garage. I don't know why they like it the best, I have another box indoors that is just as big. Maybe they like the privacy out in the garage...

S.O. Price, Jun 13, 2012
  11. BeautifulAngel

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I clean the kitty litter once a day or at least try to. It gets done at the least every other day.
    I put in new kitty litter every couple weeks, give or take. It depends on how clean it still is and what not.

Epicfied, Jun 14, 2012
  12. BeautifulAngel

Really? I had no idea that food actually affected the smell. Good to know know though =)
    My kitten was the same way, it stunk up the apartment soo fast it was pretty gross.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 21, 2012
  13. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely can. It's just like with humans....some foods are going to cause gas or diarrhea or whatever else and well....ew, right? Lol. Same things with dogs and cats.

Jessi, Jun 21, 2012
  14. BeautifulAngel

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

When I used kitty litter before, I thought I could change it once every few days. Apparently that was not the best practice. The best is still to change it every day. Actually what I did was just to scoop out the used portions and add in fresh litter when necessary.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  15. BeautifulAngel

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Our Litter boxes get changed daily, some twice a day if needed.

Micheleteresa, Jun 24, 2012
  16. BeautifulAngel

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

A little off topic here but I thought I would add something here. I started making my cats food a few weeks ago and found that my cats now have NO ODOR when they go to the litter box. That reason alone may have made me switch if I had known it beforehand! LOL!

HappyRocinante, Jul 3, 2012
  17. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's awesome, Happy! I started making dog food and noticed that he wasn't quite as smelly, depending on what I fed him. I haven't made the switch on cat food yet, though. For whatever reason, it seems like even more work for them. Do you have any cat food recipes to share?

Jessi, Jul 4, 2012
  18. BeautifulAngel

Uhm... now I clean them even more rarely because it's summer, the balcony is open.. and my cats do what they need into a planter :mad:

violino, Jul 4, 2012
  19. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol violino! So are they inside/outside cats? Or is the balcony closed and just happens to have plants that they're currently enjoying?

Jessi, Jul 4, 2012
  20. BeautifulAngel

They are inside cats. It's a balcony, on the second (third, depending on how we count) floor, where I live. And it doesn't have anything to do with the plants, more with the dirt, sand :p I don't know why they like it so much.

violino, Jul 4, 2012
Ask a Question