How Much Does Your Cat Meow?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by blurinoctober, Dec 21, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Sibyl has a habit of meowing almost constantly when she wants attention, but otherwise is mostly quiet. Even if you're making her unhappy. Alice only meows if you're doing something to make her unhappy and she wants it to stop.

How much is normal for your cat? Why do they meow a ton?

blurinoctober, Dec 21, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

My sister's cat never meows. I'm not even sure she can, lol.

My older cat will talk whenever she wants to, though. And I don't mean "meow"....I mean, talk. She has several different meows and she will howl even. She whines and cries and is incredibly talkative at times.

Jessi, Dec 21, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  3. blurinoctober

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the cat. Sassy only meows when she wants outside or when she wants to be fed, she only meows and never whines, cries, or tries to "talk". Dusty meows when he wants attention, talks when he has something to tell you (i.e. he tried to tell me mom I was taking a bath and he could not figure out why there was water in the bottom of the tub), he cries when he wants outside, and he cries when he wants to be fed. Like Jessi said, they have different sounds and you can tell what they're trying to do. The funniest thing I've seen is Dusty meowing/talking to a mocking bird but he was trying to sound like a bird. I laughed so hard I almost cried, it was ridiculous!

CinnamonKiss, Dec 21, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat doesn't meow that much unless she's hungry. As I've posted before, she's kind of grouchy and a bit of a diva, so she mostly grooms herself ,takes naps and looks at me with contempt.

ACSAPA, Dec 23, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

They say cats only meow for human attention, and not to communicate with other cats. Pussington always meows at the door trying to get outside, and Bandit and Puss will both meow if they cannot find me, they wander around and meow until I let them know where I am.

Scottyxx, Dec 24, 2012
  6. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I've never given this much thought before, but I guess it's true! My cats meow at me and my roommates but never at each other. I wonder why that is..

blurinoctober, Dec 24, 2012
Ask a Question