How many cats could you have?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

If given the chance, just how many cats would you like to have? Would you be most limited by space or maybe money to pay for the food? Would you prefer to have lots like an old cat lady or only one or two anyway?

Jessi, Mar 30, 2012
  2. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

I prefer to have one per at a time. We are a busy family so it wouldn't be fair to try to provide for more animals than we can handle. Having just one cat allows us to enjoy her and her to enjoy us.

btatro, Mar 31, 2012
  3. Jessi

rachel1970 New Member

I think two would be my limit. I did have four at one point, but it was just too much.

In an ideal world, where money was no object and I didn't have to work to pay my bills, I'd love a cat sanctuary somewhere - but need to win the lottery first!

rachel1970, Mar 31, 2012
  4. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If I had the space and the money, I would become an old cat laddie. Besides spending time, effort and money in campaigning for a comprehensive cat neutering program on a wide scale.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
    Susan Brown and francina like this.
  5. Jessi

francina New Member

Seeing stray kittens makes my heart sink. I wish i had a cat sanctuary so i could take in all the unwanted kittens i see. But since i can only handle two, i vowed i would a difference atleast with these 2 little farts i have.

francina, Apr 1, 2012
  6. Jessi

nicola Active Member

I would like about 8 cats.
    But would probably have more.

nicola, Apr 1, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I love animals in general, but don't have the room to keep too many. I have 3 cats, and wish I had more space and money to take care of them properly. I make sure they all get their yearly shots, and good quality food. To do all this the right way does indeed cost money. If I had more money, and space I would have more. I would love to live in the country, and have an area outside where they could roam and be free and happy, and took care of properly.

Jenny Heart, Apr 9, 2012
  8. Jessi

wils172 Active Member

I love pets, but having a bunch of cats never appealed to me. At most I'd have 2 inside cats, but I'd prefer to only have 1.

wils172, Apr 9, 2012
  9. Jessi

Lyra New Member

Two is really my limit. We are a pretty busy family and I think with two I could still give them plenty of proper attention but keep the balance right.

Lyra, Apr 9, 2012
  10. Jessi

magickat Well-Known Member

If I had the space and money I would happily care for about 20 cats. The most I have had at any one time is 17, although 11 of those were young kittens as I took in two pregnant females at around the same time!

magickat, Apr 10, 2012
  11. Jessi

Ella Bella Member

I think having one cat is more than enough but having another cat around certainly adds to the dynamic. My Calico was with her mother and sister until I adopted her. If only I could afford to adopt two at a time. I know some cats are loners and some are not so I'm doing my best to fill the void for her. Unfortunately for my Ella, the mother and sister are much closer with each other.

Ella Bella, Apr 10, 2012
  12. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Well my mom has three cats and it seems to be past her limit. I think my limit as to how many cats I could manage to have is probably only one because I have two children and three guinea pigs already. All of this can be quite costly so, yeah, I definitely think I could only handle one.

dkramarczyk, Apr 10, 2012
  13. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

I think two cats is plenty for indoors. If money wasn't an object or I could 'fix' them on my own, then probably a yard full if I had a barn. :) When I was younder working as a bagger in a grocery store, there was an old man that came in to shop. His cart was probably 90% cat food and the other 10% for him. You could smell cat several isles over from where this old man was shopping at. P-U. I don't mind the smell of cat but having a wall of this odor close in on you is a different story. Don't know how many cats he had, but enough to consume him.

MER, Oct 7, 2015
  14. Jessi

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have two and I would like to get one more. I would love to have a house full of them but I really couldn't afford it. I like to know that I am able to pay their vet visits and any health issues that may come up which can be expensive so if I had too many cats I wouldn't be able to give them the proper care. So 3, maybe 4 at the most for now anyway!! Not so sure my kitties would like that idea..lol

Susan Brown, Oct 9, 2015
  15. Jessi

cheryllei9h New Member

I have 2 that stay inside. And like 5 or 6 that are strays that come to eat. A couple of them will come inside for periods of time but then want to go back out. Have had 3 and others but some have died.

cheryllei9h, Oct 15, 2015
  16. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

You are my new hero! Feeding all those stray cats! My mom never liked to do such a thing because she was worried they'd get into the house and have kittens in there.

Trellum, Oct 16, 2015
  17. Jessi

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Every time I go to the pound I want to adopt every single cat. I have such a soft spot in my heart for them. However, I think 2 or 3 would be the most amount of cats I would have. Since I am not home all day, I believe in having pets in pairs so they have company during the day. I noticed my cats love each other more then they love me.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 3, 2015
  18. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

Are your cats both the same age (roughly)? I introduced Rosco after Gemma was nearly a year old. They get along as far as I can tell. They have their wrestling matches daily but I've never seen any fur go flying like you'd see in a street cat fight. Rosco likes to clean Gemma's ears and then sneaks in an attack. Too cute. Gemma has developed a distaste towards me after bringing Rosco home. She growls, hisses, nips at me when I try to hold her or give her loving. She will sleep on me but everything has to be on her terms with me. Any ideas?

MER, Dec 3, 2015
  19. Jessi

p885 Member

I have 11. I think that is all that I can handle.

p885, Dec 6, 2015
  20. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

That's quite a few cats! Can you tell the difference from each others meow and personal noises they make? Do your cats have any jealousy issues with you because of another cat(s)?

MER, Dec 7, 2015
Ask a Question