How Mama met Garfield

Discussion in 'Meet My Cat' started by nanouhammie, Jun 24, 2015.

1. nanouhammie

nanouhammie Member

For the past three nights, I had been seeing this cat around the front deck of the apt building. I assumed it belonged to one of the fellow tenants.
    So I just pitied it for being allowed out in the cold like that. Last night I heard something scary! It sounded like a baby saying "hello? hello?"
    I heard it SO loud through my bedroom window. It gave me a fright cause I might have thought it to be a peeping Tom. Luckily it wasn't.
    The voice was crying out In an almost "I'm dying! someone! please! save me!" sort of way.
    Mike told me that it sounded like a cat, and so with THAT, I headed down stares with the treat bag FULL-TILT!!!
    (Friskies Crispies to be precise, Cheesy Poof flava)
    So I rattle the bag, and that was when I was greeted by the sweetest little hello that I have ever heard in my life!
    He was covered in dark dirt (poor baby) though, I took him in anyway. He was probably going up inside of auto-mobiles for the warmth from their engine.
    He agreed to follow me into the downstairs porch. ( I really felt bad for the cold starving boy.)
    I checked all through his fur, and he was purring and head booping me, while I was giving him a look-over, then I checked his genitals.
    The scrotal area under the anus was empty and it appears he is neutered. He told me then that his name is Garfield,
    and that his owner went very far away, they traveled farther than he could ever run or walk.
    I wasn't sure if I was interpreting with him correctly, so I went ahead and put an ad up on kijiji.ca to find the owners.
    I added a catch to the ad as well. ;If they cannot describe the gender, or if they have claws or not. etc, then I will be keeping him.
    He likes me and Mike very much! I gave him a wash down with a white, damp, facecloth and a lot of dirt came out of his fur.
    I know all about cats and have lots of experience with them. In our apartment, Minounou's primary territory is in our bedroom with us, and with her little
    pig-wig family that she adores SO much. Understanding and respecting this and also with knowing about the stressful territorial issues that come with new environments.
    I made him a litter box with liner, gave him a bowl of friskies "beef,turkey,fish and liver" flavor kitty chow, a bowl of britta water and later a thawed out trout.
    Then once he completed his long eating session. I gave him some cat nip, I made him eat some by lightly squeezing open his jaws. He loved it!
    I scratched his belly, and he spread his arm and legs out, he laid flat on his back purring. His eyes were just like the kitten on shrek! (I wondered who in
    their right mind would allow their kitty out in this sort of freezing cold.) I felt a few tears jerking and that's when I popped the question! Still scratching and
    petting and head booping, I asked "Will you be a momma's kitty tonight?" and a very human toned meow came from him, it was as if he asked me if
    I am serious in a very neurotic tone. I said yes, this here, is a baby. Minounou later woke up and chased him out of the room, though, that wasn't
    an issue since I gave him the kitchen, for now. I fell in love with him and Mike fell in love with him too. I haven't any replies from kijiji yet and I am certain
    someone abandoned him.

nanouhammie, Jun 24, 2015
  2. nanouhammie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Aww what a sweet story!!! Thanks a lot for sharing, I hope you do get to keep him, he sounds like a really adorable little kitten :) I am so glad he could find a good home with you, thanks a lot for rescuing that poor little thing!

Trellum, Jun 24, 2015
  3. nanouhammie

Anne Well-Known Member

This is a good start to my morning. This story touched me greatly. My wish for you and your new love is that no one calls from Kijiji. I feel like this cat belongs with you. I always think that my next cat has to find me and this to me is a perfect example of a cat finding where it belongs. Do keep us posted however it turns out.

Anne, Jun 25, 2015
  4. nanouhammie

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

This is such an awesome story. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. So did you end up keeping Garfield? I really hope he got his forever home with you. Looking forward to an update. :)

Susan Brown, Jul 26, 2015
Ask a Question