How intelligent are cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shdws, Feb 5, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

shdws, Feb 5, 2013
  2. shdws

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Thanks or sharing!! I didn't know the extent of a cats memory, but it sounds like they share an elephant memory! And that's interesting about the training, and sad their larger counter parts are treated so badly by some circuses. :(

CinnamonKiss, Feb 6, 2013
  3. shdws

mandikl0721 Member

I think that cats are too smart for their own good, especially mine! All 3 have their own personalities and feelings. When we're gone for the day, as soon as they hear the garage door, they all come running and wait by the door, so as soon as we get in the door, we are bombarded by fuzzy bodies. I really think that cats are more loyal than any other animal companion, and by far the smartest.

mandikl0721, Feb 9, 2013
  4. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate to see animals in captivity, mainly circus animals. They always look sad to me. Could be just me interpreting it that way I suppose.

shdws, Feb 12, 2013
  5. shdws

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the article. It's pretty amazing that cats remember things for the rest of their lives, including traumatic incidents. That's very human of them. It's also cool that animal handlers in the entertainment industry find cats easier to train for movies and TV shows than dogs. I thought entertainment was the domain of dogs.

ACSAPA, Feb 21, 2013
  6. shdws

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Just like everyone else, I wasn't aware of the memory cats have! I know mine have always remembered things, but I didn't realize how long this was possible for. I'm actually wondering now if a small trick I taught Sibyl years ago will still go correctly if I try again with her. Maybe so, if this is true!

blurinoctober, Feb 27, 2013
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I had no idea they had such great memory either. I hope that doesn't mean my cat holds a grudge lol.

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
Ask a Question