How High Is Too High?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by blurinoctober, Jan 8, 2013.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

You heard me. Will your cat climb as high as they can physically get or are they scared of a certain level?

As a young cat, Sibyl would never climb higher than the kitchen counter - she seemed scared she would hurt herself if she tried! Now she'll climb to the highest point she can reach and will stay there for hours on end. Alice is too small to jump very far, but if she can climb somewhere, she's there. She's always trying to go after the big cat and will keep her company up high, even if Sibyl hates it.

blurinoctober, Jan 8, 2013
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

They will go as high as they can. My sister's cat loves sleeping on top of doors. And my cat would get up on top of the shelves that were above the refrigerator area, wedged against the ceiling. They can't get much higher than that, ha.

Jessi, Jan 8, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  3. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine will climb as high as they can, but if my boyfriend picks them up and puts them on the ceiling or up to a place they cant reach (my ceiling is 12ft high, and we have cupboards going all the way up to the ceiling) they cry and freak out and get scared.

Scottyxx, Jan 8, 2013
  4. blurinoctober

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Dusty has a really bad habit of climbing really tall things, and a few times he got stuck. We have a huge light pole in our backyard, about 15 ft up, and Dusty climbed it and was sitting on the top of it. He figured out how to climb down backwards so he didn't have to be rescued. Before the light pole he's been stuck on the roof, meowing pitifully from the gutter, until my dad got the ladder. We have a shed out back with a small carport and when he was about two he got stuck up there. Dad sent me a picture on my cell phone of him and then brought him down with the ladder.
    Dusty and Sassy both will cavort our trees to catch birds. 'm not sure how high they've been but I've witnessed them up past the roof of the house tag-teaming a bird.
    Last year, Mac managed to get stuck on the top of our neighbors half finished shed. It's about 25 ft tall. It took him all day to get down but he finally did.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 9, 2013
  5. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Awwwwh, but can you blame them?! If they don't know how to get down or can't get there themselves, it's got to be a freaky experience! I'd totally cry and get scared too.

blurinoctober, Jan 13, 2013
  6. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Oh yeah totally cannot blame them! My boyfriend has an evil streak!

Scottyxx, Jan 15, 2013
  7. blurinoctober

Trellum Well-Known Member

Cats love to climb as high as they can, I once had a cat who climbed so high up a tree! All to catch birds and eat their eggs, lol. That cat was fearless. My Bob is way more calm :) He doesn't climb trees that are much taller than I am.

Trellum, May 6, 2015
Ask a Question