How does your cat cope with stairs?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cocolgooh, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgooh Member

The first time my cat saw stairs she tried to climb up the banister rail instead. I can see her logic there (probably thought it was a tree of sorts?) but in time she learned that she could just walk up the steps. And sleep on them. And almost get stood on. And occasionally roll down them in her sleep too when she got too close to the edge! Do your cats cope well with stairs?

cocolgooh, Mar 31, 2016
  2. cocolgooh

morgoodie Member

That is funny that your cat would try the banister first. My cats did not have a problem with stairs and would walk down them to the basement just fine. They were quite curious about the basement as they were not let down there too much. When they did go down they were in heaven exploring the stuff that was down there. They would come back up with dust balls on their fur.

morgoodie, Mar 31, 2016
  3. cocolgooh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My cats don't have problem with stairs. They run up and down them so fast it is just like a flash. I guess all cats are different. I have never had a cat that had problems with stairs and I have had a lot of cats since I was a child. I think it is funny that he would want to climb up the bannister..lol

Susan Brown, Apr 7, 2016
  4. cocolgooh

MER1 New Member

Both my cats are fine on the stairs. They race up and down the stairs all the time. Gemma, she tries to slide down the hand rail. Sometimes she's able to do it and other times she doesn't distribute her weight properly and falls off the other side. OUCH!

MER1, Apr 12, 2016
  5. cocolgooh

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob has no issues with stairs :) He figured them out very fast, but then again he used to be an outdoors cat before, so he was used to climbing walls and trees so very easily. He actually loves climbing things :) He is a very daring boy, which is amazing considering how old he is now, lol. My poor old boy, he has no idea how old he really is.

Trellum, Apr 13, 2016
Ask a Question