How do You get a collar on your cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is something my family has been trying to figure out. We technically have five cats although these five are out door cats who tend to roam the neighborhood, but we have more or less adopted them. Anyway, we have bought the collars even the name tags but getting them on the cats are another issue. A few of the cats tend to run away from us when we try to put the color on them. Even Pepper and Squiggy who are the ones who let us hold them won't let it be done.

Now we want these five cats to have collars because there are feral cats roaming the neighborhood, in fact, Pepper use to belong to this community before we took her in. Anyway, our neighbors tend to call animal control on the feral cats and I don't want any of our five to be picked up. They are outdoor cats and aren't use to being indoors so they will roam around the neighborhood, that's the nature of a cat. So, any advice of how to get a collar on these five cats so our neighbors and animal control will know that they belong to us.

pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014
  2. pafjlh

PennySafe Member

My cats give me little trouble with putting on a collar. They don't normally wear one because they are indoor cats, but all I have to do is put either on my lap and snap it on. The problem I have is that cats are supposed to wear those breakaway collars (so they won't choke and strangle themselves on a tree limb or something). Somehow these collars just snap off without my knowledge, just through their daily cat activity.

PennySafe, Dec 23, 2014
  3. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

Well Twinkle's life was short lived and I must have been able to get a collar around his neck just a couple times. It was when I was intending to put him on a leash to take him walking. That never worked out and so the story goes.

I remember looking at one of those collars with the bells and thinking I should pick one up to make him look smart and let people know he had an owner. Who knows if it might have saved his life. Anyway. I went looking around for an answer to your question and this is one of the links I found. It might prove useful to you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Put-a-Collar-on-a-Cat

Anne, Dec 26, 2014
Ask a Question