How did you get your cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ACSAPA, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any memorable stories of how their cats came into their life. I still remember how I got each of my cats.

I had a black cat named Batman when I was in college, which my roommate found cowering by the dumpster when she took out the trash and she brought him home for me. She just assumed I would take him in and said "You like black cats ,don't you?" That little guy lived until I was in my late 20's.

My cat Pearl was a weird story. One day I saw my roommate sitting with a white kitten on the sofa and it turned out that she found the kitten on our balcony- our 5th floor balcony that we always kept locked. We suspected that someone must have tried to throw the kitten off of one of the balconies above us and instead of falling straight down, she landed on our balcony. So that's how I got Pearl.

Paisley was just a traditional adoption from the Humane Society.

Dolores, who is my current cat, was living in the alley not far from my apartment at the time. When I was following her and trying to pick her up ,an elderly woman asked me if I needed help. I was able to pick up Dolores but I knew it would be awkward to carry her the 6 blocks to my apartment. The elderly lady offered me a cardboard cat carrier, so we went around the corner to her place and she had, like 10 or 11 cats in her apartment and bowls of cat food everywhere. Anyway , I thanked her for the cardboard cat carrier and got out of there before she decided to add Dolores to her family and make it 12 cats.

Anyway, those are my stories. Do any of you guys have any stories about how you came to have cats?

ACSAPA, Jul 11, 2012
  2. ACSAPA

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

Well if I get this kitten that I really want it would be from a girl who put up an add on Kijiji haha. It's not really a cute story or anything. But yes I was online and found a kitten that I really liked and then I went to go see the kitten. Now if I can get the kitten that would just be awesome!

BeautifulAngel, Jul 11, 2012
  3. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I just remembered one more cat that I once owned. I think I blocked out that part of my life because I was so broke and young, and alone in a new city.

Anyway I moved into this apartment hotel where most of the people were snowbirds from out of town and people only lived there for a few months.
    My first week there, I met a stripper and her little girl. They were moving out and couldn't take their cat with them, so they gave me a half grown adolescent kitten named Pocahontas with huge eyes and a flat pushed-in face like a Persian cat.

I had that cat for about 4 years until I left the door open at my next place and she got out. It's weird that I temporarily forgot Pocahontas and the stripper, but like I said ,that was a bad time for me and I was broke and sad and trying to figure out what to do with my life.

ACSAPA, Jul 11, 2012
  4. ACSAPA

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I remember one of my first cats... He was having a seizure on the back porch one day when we came home from work. I was so distraught I watched and carefully tried to stop his body from shaking all over the concrete pavement and further injuring himself. I carefully made up a basket when the poor baby finally calmed down, breath laboured from all the stress. I placed him in it and watched him until my mother came home with the car. I convinced her despite her dislike of having animals in the home to take him to the vet and get help. Seeing I had gotten worked up she couldn't refuse. They told us that he wouldn't likely survive the night and they couldn't be certain what caused the brain damage from initial test. We couldn't afford to do the whole 100 yards of testing and scans, so as the vet recommended keep him comfortable and let him pass in peace. I tried so hard to stay up all night so I could be there for him in his last breaths.

Fortunately, he never died that night, even after I had collapsed in the early morning. I think I woke up to him wandering around my room lost and confused. He was just a kitten at the time and lived somehow another 3-4 years. It was amazing! I was very fortunate that I could have him in my life for that long. He was such a joy! I miss him so much every day.

QuatreHiead, Jul 11, 2012
  5. ACSAPA

Jessi Well-Known Member

Both of them came from friends of the family....but completely different ones, for different reasons, and 10 years apart. The outside kitty sorta adopted us, too, so she just followed me home one night and then never left.

Jessi, Jul 12, 2012
  6. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

It's a miracle and a blessing that he lived another 4 years and had such a loving family. I guess it just wasn't his time to go yet. What a cool story.

ACSAPA, Jul 12, 2012
    QuatreHiead likes this.
  7. ACSAPA

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

Thanks! My mother's way of putting it was that he had a purpose before he left this world. Evidently it was to help me make it through those 4 years, it was really a joy to have him beside me through some tough times. I had forgotten for a long time how much a comfort they can be. I miss owning a cat so much, I will have to get one I believe for sanity sake in the next few months.Besides, there are so many lovely kittens (or cats, I think they're all adorable babies in my head so I call everything a kitten in the feline species of animal) in need of a good home!

QuatreHiead, Jul 13, 2012
  8. ACSAPA

MER Well-Known Member

My two babies were essentially rescue cats. Gemma was about 8 weeks old when my wife and I went to a store to get some bird seed. The cashier had this kitten (Gemma) standing on his shoulders. I asked if I could hold the kitten and he said sure, it just got dropped off here and its free to a good home. The kitten just purred up a storm and climbed all over me. She eventually fell asleep in my arms. My wife finally caved in (being a dog person and us not wanting pets), and we took Gemma home.

Rosco (at 7 or 8 weeks) was dropped off at a boarding house we will use when we travel. We stopped in to make reservations for Gemma and the lady said she had a rescue kitten in the back. I went to go see him and brought him out. Gemma ended up being totally my wife's cat and I joked about getting a cat just for me. Well, now I do. :eek:) My wife is home all day with the cats so they get super long bonding times. I have to spend a lot of time with Rosco to remind him who's his favorite buddy. Me!, not the wife.

MER, Sep 21, 2015
  9. ACSAPA

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

We adopted Harley for a woman who had him since he was a baby. He was about 4 years old at the time. She developed an allergy to him and she played an ad online and as soon as I seen him picture I fell in love. We went and got him the next day.

Melee belonged to the woman who lives downstairs in our apartment building. She threw him outside because she didn't want him anymore. We took him in with the intentions of finding him a good home. We fell in love with him and he ended up staying with us.

They are the loves of my life.

Susan Brown, Sep 27, 2015
Ask a Question