How did you get your cat/s?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Now that we have even more new members, and I have seen a lot pictures of their cats and even know their names and what kind of games they like, I feel the need to know more about how they came into your lives :) I'd love to hear your stories =D

I'll first tell you about how me and my dear Bob met. My dad saw a little kitten nearby, but he wasn't trusting people much, so he attracted him with food. He followed him home and that is how I met my little fur ball. I thought he was the cutest black kitten ever, I started to give him a lot kisses on his little face asap!!!! He was adorable!!!! The rest is history.

Trellum, Jul 26, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  2. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I know I told my story in other forms so I won't go into too much detail on this one. For those who haven't read it already. I adopted Harley from a woman who had him since he was a kitten. She had heart surgery and the meds they put her on caused her to be allergic to cats. My other cat, Merle, adopted us. The woman in the basement of our apartment threw him out because she didn't want him anymore. We brought him in with the intentions of finding him a new home. He stole our hearts quickly and we decided that we would be his new forever home.

Susan Brown, Jul 26, 2015
  3. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

My story is old and tired but in a nutshell, my son found the kitten while driving on the highway. He said he tried to find a home for it before he brought it home as he knew I was not a cat person. Someone would have taken it but did not want a female. The kitten was eased into the house, passed my husband who would be the man to get pass if you got pass me. It stole my heart as the sweetest 'girl' you could ever meet. Then it turned out the cat was a male and the rest is history, Now he remains only in my heart having transitioned.

Having said that I am searching for a cat called Capone. I am interested in that story and the name.

Anne, Jul 27, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  4. Trellum

jeskalillis Active Member

My husband has had our cat since she was born. His sister ended up with a stray that was pregnant. She recently told me a story about how Bobby Girl became his cat. She said that they were going to give the kittens away, since they weren't really expecting to have that many cats in the house. But my husband would sneak one of the into his room all the time. The kitten eventually became used to going into his room and would sit by his door until it was opened. When it came time to get rid of the kittens, their mom decided that he can keep Bobby Girl because he had grown attached and he didn't really have a pet of his own. She has had to live with other people a few times, but has always ended up back with us.

jeskalillis, Jul 28, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  5. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I am loving all these cat stories and how they came to be part of your family. Cats don't take long to steal your heart. This post really warms my heart. Looking forward to reading many more!!

Susan Brown, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Trellum

Awww, that is the sweetest story ever!!! But why did she have to live with other people for a while? Did your husband's mom have changes of heart very often? :p I ask because I have seen that happen a lot before, lol. More often that you'd think ,actually my mom is a lot like that.

Trellum, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Trellum

Hehehehe! Capone? Is there someone in this forum with a cat named like that? And yes, your story is as lovely now as it was when you first told us about it :) I thought it was really magical the first time you told us about it, because Twinkle melted your heart on the spot, which I think is to say a lot given the fact you weren't a cat person :)

Trellum, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

We have always had strays coming and going. We have a cat lady less than a 1/2 a mile away. She has a heated barn so cats come and go as they please. Sometimes we'll get a stray from over there coming up in our yard, and we'll also lose a lot of cats who like her barn. Right now, though, we only have 1 indoor cat-- kitty kiss-- and no outdoor cats. He was going to be taken to the animal shelter if he wasn't picked up by someone that day. So I went and grabbed him. And, believe me, this cat can hunt! She doesn't play with it either. She catches it, kills it, eats the top half, and leaves the bottom half in her food bowl or litter box.

LilAnn, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Trellum

Lol, does she ever eat the other bottom half? That is such a nice story by the way, I think it's great you saved her life that day :) Thanks for picking her up, she deserved a second chance, just like all those abandoned animals out there.

Trellum, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, she has never eaten that end. He just leaves it lying around. Its more like he's saving them than it is him throwing them away. They're always in his food bowl, or litter box that he hangs out in all day. He's

LilAnn, Aug 16, 2015
  11. Trellum

@LilAnn Lol, maybe she is all like: ''This looked better earlier, but now doesn't anymore''. Maybe that is why she leaves those bottoms there lol. My mom would be so mortified if my cat did that, she things cats shouldn't be indoors. If a cat did that and ate only half of a mouse she'd freak out.

Trellum, Aug 16, 2015
  12. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Thats why I keep my husband around, regardless of how mad he can make me sometimes. I can't deal with half a mouse. I can't even look directly at it.

LilAnn, Aug 18, 2015
  13. Trellum

Hahahahaha! Good one, I'll think of that next time something like that happens to me at home, I think my mom feels the same way about my step-dad. He is the one who kills any rat that sneaks into the house thru the toilet. Yup, he kills them. Ugh, I could never have the nerves to do such a thing! He just looks himself in the same room with the rat :S I've heard them squeak when he kills them... can't stand that!!!

Trellum, Aug 20, 2015
  14. Trellum

Eaow Well-Known Member

@LilAnn something else we have in common there. One very useful function of my husband is keeping all kinds of creepies out of my sight. He mainly does just that, without getting rid of them. :rolleyes: My cat doesn't go after them and to think she did for a while after I rescued her out of the gutter.

Eaow, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My husband has had to kill them before. I've found them in areas they can't get out of. Like the bottom of the trash can, underneath the bag. I'll take the trash can outside and wait for him to get up or get home. I tell him, "I caught some meeses for you". (meeses is his word). I don't tell him they were already in there. I count that as doing my part. But when he goes outside to do his part, I can't be anywhere near it.

LilAnn, Sep 2, 2015
  16. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My husband is so great that way! My ex would actually run out of the room quicker than I could, because he was a pansy. lol So I have really learned to appreciate him doing it for me.

LilAnn, Sep 2, 2015
  17. Trellum

My step dad just killed a mouse just yesterday, no idea how, it was in the livng room running around!! Not bad at all fro a 75 year old man who is not as fast as he was when he was younger, lol. I gotta admire those men who can do that. Not sure my future husband has the stomach for that though. You are so lucky yours does D:

Trellum, Sep 3, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  18. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I know! If I lived out here alone my house would be over run with field mice, my chickens would probably be in the house when its cold outside, or a little too warm, and my dogs would be having a steak dinner every night. I'm such a sap when it comes to killing any animal. Like I've told him, He's lucky I catch them instead of giving them sanctuary.

LilAnn, Sep 7, 2015
  19. Trellum

@LilAnn Hehehe, I wonder who is going to kill all those scary animals in the new house ;) My fiance is not good at killing things, he is such a softie for a man, I doubt he has the nerve to kill a mouse, so maybe I'll have to errr do it myself or do it together? Lol, gosh, I hope we never have to kill a mouse in that house! He doesn't even like to kill spiders, he always tells me I should put them inside a glass and set them free, but I've explained to him where I live we can do that... because we have a lot highly toxic ones and I'm not good at telling which ones are safe and which can cause you to get a big chunk of necrotic tissue on an arm, leg or finger in a matter of hours o_O

Trellum, Sep 8, 2015
  20. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest NOT using poison to kill the mice. Its extremely effective. However, each one of those mice that get and of the poison will crawl back in your walls and die. When my parents and I moved into a new house about20 years ago, they used the poison. And there were so many dead mice in the walls that I spent 99% of my time outside for the first month.

As for spiders, I have no issue drowning them if they are in the sink or bathtub. And when one of those huge wolf spiders get in my kitchen and makes it down to the floor, I'm not too afraid to use the broom as a weapon. I am as far away as I can be, barely holding on to the tip on it. And I go nuts with it, too. I don't stop if there is any doubt in my mind, lol. But the regular little house spiders eat mosquito's, so as long as they stay out of my line of sight, we leave each other alone.

I did manage to kill a wasp once. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

LilAnn, Sep 8, 2015
Ask a Question