How can I get rid of dandruff in cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

My cats, Joey and Whitey, have dandruff so bad. It looks bad and I want a way to control this. I do not give them baths too often because I do not want to dry out their skin. Are there any products on the market that will help with dandruff that you can tell me about?

catlover2, Sep 19, 2010
  2. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

I have never heard of cats getting dandruff. I would suggest going to the vet and getting them checked out as they may have another skin condition and they will be able to offer you suitable treatments, whatever the outcome.

magickat, Jan 22, 2012
  3. catlover2

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I don't know about dandruff but I have found out that there is a powder on the market that is a dry shampoo. You rub it on your pets fur and brush it out. It gets great review by both general pet owners and people who use it for their show cats. We have one cat that is very anxious about being sprayed with anything and everything, so I want to try this for him sometime.

Yolanda, Jan 22, 2012
  4. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

I'll have to try out that dry shampoo Yolanda. My cat is getting difficult to bathe and spending $50 plus tip to take him to the groomers each month is starting to eat away at my wallet. I have used a tea tree oil shampoo to get rid of my cat's dandruff in the past.

steph84, Jan 28, 2012
  5. catlover2

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

one of my cats gets dandruff and the other doesn't. It has to do with the density of their fur. My big cat Romeo's fur is so thick and double coated or something (the guy at the shelter said he thinks that he has some British Shorthair in him, because they have coats like that) and if I don't use the comb on him to thin it out, he gets dandruff.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 28, 2012
  6. catlover2

wahmed Active Member

That's a new thing. Dandruff. I have never ever heard of it in cats. The best thing I can recommended and probably the wisest is going to see the vet. They may be ill .

wahmed, Mar 23, 2015
Ask a Question