Hide and seek

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Anne, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Before Twinkle passed he played this strange game of hide and seek and it wasn't only with me. I was excited to have this new family member and was eager to introduce him to my friends and family.

The strange thing is that he was not nearly as excited to meet them. Once the door was opened and any "strangers" came to the house, the cat disappeared for the duration of their visit. I would search high and low sometimes never finding him as he was hiding somewhere he couldn't be found. It took weeks and weeks before my house help knew what he looked like. He died and my sister and brothers only got a glimpse of him.

He would hide and then I would have to seek him out. New to the cat game, was that normal behavior?

Anne, Oct 22, 2014
  2. Anne

Trellum Well-Known Member

Uhm, some cats are naturally shy, I'm guessing he wasn't feeling very comfortable having ''strangers'' at home because he might have had some bad experiences in the past. Remember cats have their territory, I'm guessing he was a very laid-back cat? It's very normal :) Not all cats do that, but some very shy ones do, no so abnormal :)

Trellum, Oct 22, 2014
  3. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Well I really had no experience with cats prior to that. Before my son brought him home, I actually, thought I hated cats. He had found him on the highway as a kitten. Had almost run him over, he told me. So when he came into our lives he was a kitten. Not sure if being lost and in fear at that very tender age could have left him traumatized for his short life.

When strangers were not around, he was just a darling, playing and loving his cousins, my two small dogs. To me he just fitted right in, so this seemingly morbid fear of strangers really left me baffled. I am learning how different they can be. Twinkle is a tough "act" to follow that's why I think I am staying away from cats for a very long.

Anne, Oct 22, 2014
  4. Anne

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awww, that's such a sweet story! Wish the same happened to my mom, who seems to hate cats! I had several cats as a kid, but she has always disliked them! She finds them creepy :( I guys you never really disliked cats that much ;)

As for your boy, well, I understand f you don't want to get another cat anytime soon, because well, Twinkle sounds like one of a kind :) But maybe one day you'll find anther kitty that might also steal your heart ;)

Trellum, Oct 23, 2014
  5. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

I have been watching cats a lot more these days and the ones that come close to stealing my heart are online. That means I am going to have a hard time getting a hold of one of them:). I talk about him a lot like he isn't the child I got late in life.

Anne, Nov 10, 2014
Ask a Question