Herman and Eddie

Discussion in 'Meet My Cat' started by Herman&Eddie, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Hi! We have two cats in our house. You might think that they are male from their names. I know it is confusing for any new employees at our veterinarian, too! Herman is our oldest queen in the household. She is turning eleven years old next month. My son and I picked her up from the human society for my daughter's birthday. As a avid skate-boarder, my daughter immediately gave her the name of her favorite pro-skater at the time, Bryan Herman. Herman is a extremely large cat, the vet gave the nickname of Mae West, due to her disposition. Actually, she is a friendly, outgoing cat, but does not enjoy her grooming routine with strangers.

Eddie is the perpetrate baby of the house; although she is five years old. My son rescued her from a friend. She is a true alley cat with a princess attitude. Everyone calls her a mama's girls. We initially thought she was a he, until our first trip to the vet for shots. So, she also received a "boys name". My son was studying King Edward at the time, thus the nickname Eddie was betrothed upon her. She quickly turned from a prince to a princess.

Herman&Eddie, Mar 28, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi!!!! Welcome to the forum! Thanks a lot for sharing your beautiful story with us, I enjoyed reading every little detail! Hehehe, at first I also thought your kittens were males as well, lol! But I like the fact you guys dared to be different and didn't feel afraid to give your cats male names! Very cool!

Trellum, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! I am quite the talker, especially when it is about our two cats. Personally, I love their choice of names, too. One time when we at the veterinarian for a grooming, one of the helpers kept calling Herman a "he". After repeated corrections, he laughed and said, maybe you should call your female cat Her Man. I don't know as I write this, it does not sound quite as funny, but it was at the time!;)

Herman&Eddie, Mar 29, 2015
    Anne likes this.
  4. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha!!!!! LOL!!! It does sound fun! Her Man! LOL, nice way to remember it :p Oh yes, I love unique names that don't conform with the norms of society nowadays, because as you have seen... they often make great topics of conversation ;) Even some cool jokes ;)

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

Oh, I am glad you enjoyed my little joke. Being new to this forum, I have just started to read all the posts and become acquainted with other cat owners, which quite frankly, I am quite enjoying myself! I love a relaxed atmosphere! Anyways, when responding to your initial post, I neglected to ask you the name of your cat, or cats, or kitties :)

Herman&Eddie, Mar 30, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

So please make room for me on the jolly ride and I am already smiling from ear to ear. No, I am smiling from ear to eye. I too dare to be different and I have heard I smile with my eyes.

HE (Herman & Eddie) I got all of the jokes so now you have a growing audience:). I have to tell you it feels pretty good to know a veteran cat person gave the cat the wrong sex. This is very comforting to me. You don't know my story, but when Twinkle came home we thought he was a girl and for months tried to keep"her" away from any "man".:D.

Anyway, we would later learn before taking her to the vet that she was actually a he who was already responding to the name Twinkle. To this day, I still speak about of him as her and he as she. If I tell you the amount of times I have had to revisit a post to make the correction you would be amazed. I am sure if I looked at my messages overtime I am sure I must have slipped some "she or her" in my typing. It still makes me smile. I still think of him as a her......Man!!!!

Please share some pictures of the "guys'

Anne, Apr 14, 2015
  7. Herman&Eddie

I have not actually shared any pictures of my cats, yet. Just some fun ones found on the internet. I really need to get my scanner out! We have the cutest one ever of Eddie, when she first arrived in all her glory into our home. She is sitting in the palm of my sons hand. Looking so innocent and cute! Oh, how we were in for a surprise! Well, not really because she was a bouncy, rambunctious kitten from the start! When my son picked her out from the litter, his friend told him, this is the most active cat with the most spunk! Oh, boy! In another thread, I will share our experience and wonder at the energy of our Eddie!

Glad to hear, you, too, got my jokes. Sometimes, they fall a bit flat! I am, also, glad to hear we are not the only one to make this mistake. My kids will think that is pretty funny, too! I bet you had that jaw dropping moment at the veteran, too! It really took us months to correct ourselves, too! We were like, poor Eddie! We can not even keep your gender right! But, really, it does not matter. What matters is how much fun our memories of our pets past and present bring into our lives.

Reminds me of a quote by, Cesare Pavese

"We do not remember days; we remember moments."

Herman&Eddie, Apr 14, 2015
  8. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="
    Reminds me of a quote by, Cesare Pavese

"We do not remember days; we remember moments."[/QUOTE]

Wonderful quote and so true. Twinkle left me many great moments and for that I am eternally grateful. I look forward to seeing Herman & Eddie sometime in the future when you have sorted things out. It took me a little while to upload pictures of Twinkle and I was happy when I was finally able to share him with the world. He's an international "star" now.

Anne, Apr 14, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  9. Herman&Eddie

Oh, I will have to check out your picture of Twinkle! Although, I do see Twinkles in your profile picture! ;) I think Herman and Eddie deserve to be an international star, too! Well, some people may not think Eddie is as beautiful, as we do, She is an Alley Cat, I think sometimes others have a difficult time seeing past her supposed commonness. Nevertheless, her personality is her winning character that comes through in her photographs! And when, you all see Herman, you will be amazed at what a big cat she is! I have had people come over to the house, like the cable man and ask to take a picture of her just because of her size! :D Although, we have her on a new diet, I think it is her breed.

Herman&Eddie, Apr 14, 2015
  10. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

I
    Is Herman obese? If she is then we have something in common:D. Just kidding or am I? I am a little overweight for my height but not obese. I am always rooting for the "underdog" so your alley cat Eddie with all her "commoness"would be a big hit with me. Personality always wins for me even in the world of humans. Herman sounds like my "little" giant. I will see them in time.

Anne, Apr 14, 2015
  11. Herman&Eddie

Well, Herman, is our Mae West, according to our veterinarian. I forgot what kind of breed she is, will have to ask the kids. They know! I know this breed is know to on the rather large size. So, it partly genes and partly that she likes to eat all the time! We had to stop feeding her dry food, I think it was hard for her digest, as I said in another thread. She seems like she has a whole new demeanor with her wet food! And, I am proud to report, she has lost weight!

Side note - we all come in all shapes and sizes. I think, for those of us that are not very tall, it can be tricky!

Yes! To personality! It is amazing how each of our pets have their own individual characteristics. But, Eddie is in the dog house, so to speak today. You can see my other thread under Behavior and Training to learn about her latest fiasco! Sigh!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 15, 2015
  12. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

On the side note...It might be tricky for me then;). Somewhere around here I saw a thread with either a dog or a cat that lost an amazing amount of pounds. It might be a dog and Trellum might be able to speak to that matter. Personality wins every time for me. I did a little search on Mae West. I am curious to know what aspect of her life makes her a Mae West.

Anne, Apr 20, 2015
  13. Herman&Eddie

Oh, lol, let me explain how Herman is like a Mae West. When she is at the vet, she has a large personality with a bit of a sass to match her large body. Here is a picture of Mae West, she kind of has a Cheshire cat smile, don't you think! Mae was always known for getting her words censored! When Herman is at the vet complaining, she needs her meows censored!

[​IMG]

Herman&Eddie, Apr 20, 2015
  14. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

:):):) I see. I was wondering what makes her a Mae West. Seems Mae was a hot little number sex symbol and all. These forums send me into worlds I would never otherwise explore. Now I am left wanting to find an old Mae (formerly May) West movie.

Anne, Apr 20, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  15. Herman&Eddie

jeskalillis Active Member

Hi. I just wanted to say that my husband and I also have a female cat with a male's name. Her name is Bob/Bobby.

When I saw names Herman and Eddie, I thought of the Munsters. Weren't the characters named Herman and Eddie Munster?

jeskalillis, May 3, 2015
  16. Herman&Eddie

OHHH I never thought about the Munsters! You are so right. Wait, until I remind the rest of the family. They will get a good laugh, too. Well, I must say Bob/Bobby seems to be a popular name here on the cathow.com forum boards! By the way, if I had my way, I would of named a cat Bob, too. Seeings how I am a big Bob Dylan fan. lol But alas, outvoted. :D Maybe the next cat.

Do people get confused by the gender of your cat, as they do with ours? I do not think, it is a big deal, unless we are at the vet! Of course, the doctor knows, but I like to make sure the receptionist does, too. hehe. By the way, welcome to the forum! I will have to catch up on all of your post and find out all about your Bob! ;)

Herman&Eddie, May 7, 2015
  17. Herman&Eddie

jeskalillis Active Member

Thanks for the welcome! Some people don't really question it. Possibly because we say Bobby Girl when we introduce her. I think adding the girl to the end if names isn't too outrageous here in Hawaii. So most of the time it isnt qurstioned. But there have been times where people were like "Bobby Girl??". So we would explain, we just laugh after. Recently we were looking at a house to rent and the guy asked why we named her that. He thought it was strange.

But I think most of the time people get so used to calling her Bob that they forget that she is a female cat with a males name. And just think of her as a female cat named Bob. Does that make sense??

jeskalillis, May 7, 2015
  18. Herman&Eddie

I changed my avatar to our Eddie, but can not figure out how to upload a picture or our Herman. Can anyone help me out? Please!!!

Herman&Eddie, May 15, 2015
  19. Herman&Eddie

hunya Member

Eddie is so cute, wanna touch. You can change your avatar to Herman or change your avatar to a picture with both Eddie and Herman in it.

hunya, May 26, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
Ask a Question