HELP PLEASE! I'm desperate!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by cclpegs, Jul 16, 2011.

1. cclpegs

cclpegs New Member

I got a kitten at 9 weeks old a few months ago and all was fine he now goes outdoors etc. Now last week i bought another 9 week old kitten as i thought smarties (5 months now) would like a playmate as he seems ok with any cats that come into the garden (although i dont sit and watch for hours). I probably introduced them all wrong but i cant change that now but it seems they hate each other! Coco (the 9 week old) seems to be a wind up, chasing smarties tail etc etc. Smarties appears to play too but then it gets rough and the smallest, coco starts meowing as if he doesnt like it. I'm too worried now to 'let them get on with it' as i fear it may go to far... Could someone shed some light on what to do? Am i reading the behaviour wrong?
    Thanks

cclpegs, Jul 16, 2011
  2. cclpegs

christy sharpton Active Member

Some cats do that at first when they meet. I think it is normal actually. I brought a kitten home to meet my other two cats and they hated her at first. But after letting them fight and by letting them realize that the kitten was not going anywhere, they started getting along better. Good luck to you and I hope eveything goes well with your cats and their behavior issues.

christy sharpton, Nov 21, 2011
  3. cclpegs

Yolanda Well-Known Member

This behavior seems quite normal. They are settling who's boss and that's not a bad thing. When they are seriously injuring each other, that's a whole other story. My experience with cats fighting is that they make more noise than actually damage each other. If you want your kittens to be more relaxed you can also use Feliway. This is a spray or vaporizer that mimics the cats feromones and makes them happier and more relaxed without making them dizzy or drugged. I use this for my cats for new years eve and when they are stressed out. I have one cat who is very stress intolerant and because of her I now use it daily, but it works very well!

Yolanda, Nov 21, 2011
  4. cclpegs

steph84 Well-Known Member

This is pretty normal. I thought my cats hated each other too, but they are just playing most of the time. I often catch them licking each other and taking naps together during the day time, but at night they go all out. The younger one likes to taunt the other one and grab his tail while eating. It's as if he enjoys teasing my older cat because he'll run back and forth to grab his tail and tries to be sneaky about it too.

steph84, Dec 16, 2011
  5. cclpegs

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

That is what most kitties do, just give them a little time... they will start to play together. Sit down and try playing with them together with a toy, hope this helps.

Wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  6. cclpegs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just bear with it for a few more days. Cats tend to do that when they first meet. What you can do is give them separate food dishes, placed quite close together. Once they get used to eating together, they will be fine.

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
  7. cclpegs

doublelady Active Member

Our cats all did that to each other as they were introduced a few months apart. Now they love each other and spend all their time together. As the kitten gets older your first cat will become more comfortable with him. Think of how an older sibling views an annoying younger sibling.

doublelady, Dec 23, 2011
  8. cclpegs

magickat Well-Known Member

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Our cats of different ages play the same way and they have grown up with each other.

magickat, Jan 16, 2012
  9. cclpegs

christmasfairy Member

Sometimes that how it goes, it may just take time. Two of our cats fought all the time, and then one day they were best buddies.

christmasfairy, Jan 23, 2012
  10. cclpegs

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I brought an 8 week old kitten home to a 5 year old cat. Even though Romeo (the older one) didn't aggressively act like he hated the kitten, but he stopped eating and started throwing up all over. He was stressed inwardly! So I went online to read about introducing cats to each other and sometimes you have to do what I did.
    I moved the kitten into my bedroom with the door shut. All his food, water and his litter box were in there and he slept with me at night, with the door closed. When I got up in the morning and dressed, I would leave him in there --door closed. Well sure enough, they both ended up nose to nose on each side of the door for a couple days. My door actually had an inch opening underneath, which was perfect....they started smelling and touching each other.
    Once curiosity had peaked, I started opening the door and within a week, they had accepted each other. They played but the older one was definitely in charge. Two years later, even though the kitten Riff is still 2 pounds lighter than my husky 18 pounder, he can get him to cry "uncle!"

SallyintheValley41, Jan 23, 2012
  11. cclpegs

Cat Member

I have a grey Persian cat and she has been queen of the castle for years. I thought she might be bored so when a friend of mine said that someone was giving away their 2 cats I thought "Ok, I will try it for a few months". Well.....they all hated each other on first sight and my cat Willow was not impressed in the least. She spent months on top of the dresser or under the bed and anytime she caught my eye she would give me a "LOOK", one you don't want to see ever on a cat! :eek:

Well the others would chase her when she came out from under the bed to eat or go potty and she really was stressed and unhappy....but her Mom (Me) didn't respond to her "LOOK" and thought she would get used to the puddy cats. NOPE! Willow decided I wasn't getting the message so she started peeing on my bed.....there is nothing worse than jumping into bed with what you think are nice clean sheets to be bombarded with cat pee! OMG! Horrible!

Well she did it twice and I finally got the message, she was not getting used to the other 2 cats and I sent them back to their original owner....needless to say if she is bored she will stay that way, just so I can keep my sanity and my bedding puddy pee free!!!

Cat, Apr 20, 2012
  12. cclpegs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Looks like that's quite a common thing for cats to do. Whenever I bring home a new stray kitten, the older ones would stay away from me. The bigger ones would sit up there on top of the cupboard or even the rafters if they can get there. However after a few days, they normally establish cordial relationships.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  13. cclpegs

TheBrit Member

Although cats are quite happy on their own, especially if they are allowed to roam they also have an inherent pack nature. "A pride of Lions". Your eldest kitten probably is playing, at least at the outset, but like all children if the little one oversteps the mark then he'll be put in his place. Generally that will be enough and he'll go off and sulk somewhere until he wants to play again.
    If things ever do get that bad that the fur starts to fly then jump suddenly out of your chair and rush them as if your about to slap one.
    The sudden movement of your approach would normally be enough to make them break of and scatter in opposite directions.

TheBrit, May 31, 2013
  14. cclpegs

crazy cat lady New Member

As to the Feliway I did try it in my house. Had plug ins upstairs and downstairs. Didnt to squat for the cats, but I couldnt stay awake with it LOL. I could actually smell it even though no one else could. Had to get rid of them in order for me to stay awake ROLF

crazy cat lady, Oct 2, 2014
  15. cclpegs

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is actually normal animal behavior. Not that I have noticed this too much with my five cats, although I do think there are times when Squiggy bullies Peppy. But those are my cats ask me about my dogs, these two have some pretty ugly fights at times that we need to break up. I guess it just comes down to jealousy, and yes this can even happen with animals such as cats and dogs. One doesn't like someone new coming along taking what they feel is their attention, in time the cats could get use to each other.

By the way before anyone says how can I have two dogs and five cats, the dogs are kept gated up in the back yard while the cats are kept in the front yard when they aren't roaming the neighborhood that is. My cats also seem to be smart enough to know not to venture into the back yard, where the dogs reside. Pepper isn't stupid and neither are her kittens that obvious.

pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014
Ask a Question