HELP PLEASE: Getting 2 cats together in new house

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by wcapes2101, Aug 24, 2015.

1. wcapes2101

wcapes2101 New Member

Hi guys.

I need some help in getting 2 cats, hers and mine, together in 1 new house that the wife and I are moving into.

First some history on the cats.

Mine, named Miggie, is a 9 year old black and white female cat.
    No specific breed.
    She is very much an indoor cat since witnessing her sister get killed by neighbourhood dogs when she was very young. So she does go into the backyard to do her business and to chill in the sun in summer.
    She is very protective over her food and to an extent me.
    She has one or two spots she claims for herself.
    She is spayed

The wife's, named Lila is a 2 year old black and white male cat. He's original home is the next door neighbours, however he left there and took over the wife's place.
    No specific breed
    He is a very submissive cat, and often lets others around him eat, before he does.
    He is also very much over me
    He does like to investigate the neighbourhood but not a lot like other cats.
    He is spayed
    Lila has had problems with other cats in the area attacking him and hurting him. He doesn't fight back, as he is very timid.

My concerns are
    . Seeing that both cats are for me, I am concerned about fights.
    . Lila was raised with dogs, and the new house has neighbours who have dogs. The concern is he will think they are friends and go visit them and get killed.
    . How do I get Miggie and Lila to get on in the same house.
    . I reckon I would have to feed them seperately.

How can I get these 2 cats together in 1 home. And the biggest concern is Lila going out to in the neighbourhood and getting hurt, if not killed?
    We really want to take both cats, as they are our family.

wcapes2101, Aug 24, 2015
  2. wcapes2101

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Since one is a male and one is a female they may get along great. It will take time though. Cats take a while
    to adjust to each other unlike dogs.

You will have to watch Miggie because she is the aggressive one and he seems to let others do what they want.
    Have you ever had them together before? Maybe you can introduce them to each other gradually instead of all
    at once. It will give them time to acquainted with each other before the big move.

I would be worried about Lila too being that he is an outdoor cat. I worry far too much to have an outdoor cat.
    Do you have a fenced in backyard that he could maybe stay in when he us outside? He is only 2 years old so
    he could be changed over to an indoor cat which would make things a lot safer.

You will need time and patience but I am sure it will all work out.

Susan Brown, Aug 26, 2015
  3. wcapes2101

Trellum Well-Known Member

Both are spayed, and you said the male is submissive, so I think you will have no problems with those two :) I'd be worried if both of them were very territorial, but if the male cat is so submissive, I'm sure you will face no issues. Just allow them to get familiar with each other little by little, specially with their smells.

Trellum, Aug 26, 2015
  4. wcapes2101

wcapes2101 New Member

Sorry for the delayed response. Work has been hectic.
    Thanks for the feedback and advice all :)

I'm sure I'll get them to behave and like each other, just worried about Lila and the dogs next door mainly.

wcapes2101, Aug 27, 2015
Ask a Question