Hello from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Member

Good morning everyone.

I recently subscribed to the forum so thought I'd share a short introduction.
    My name is Janet Ford. I live on a small homesteading farm in northwestern Michigan with my husband, 5 house dogs and assorted livestock critters. We are also a 'host family' to a small colony of feral cats. I'm not sure if it's the farm thing or the fact we are a home in the middle of the woods but, every year we get new additions to the cat colony here that seem to have been dropped off. I rehome those who are friendly, if I can. Sadly, we have many wild animals here and I fear many don't make it long once dropped off. I do try to create a safe haven in our barn and garage. They are fed, watered and given several options of warm places to sleep, especially in the winter. I try to find and rehome kittens but that is difficult with feral moms. This is not a large group. There are six 'base' cats that I've been working hard at calming/gentling though our wooded area has always had ferals here and there in it since my parents purchased this property back in 1976.

I do not have housecats at this time. I had housecats in the past and miss them. I loved them but can no longer share my home with cats as we have a couple godchildren with cat allergies to the point they wouldn't be able to visit if I had them in the house.

Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have your hands full with all the animals and all the work involved in running and maintaining a farm. I know when I lived in the country there were always people dropping animals off. I find it hard to understand the mentally of those people. They just toss an animal out and drive away, letting the poor animals to fend for themselves. Some people are so cruel.

Anyway welcome to the group. See you around the forums.

Susan Brown, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there :) First of all let me tell you I truly admire what you are doing! Feeding all those cats and keeping them safe can't be easy or cheap. So thanks a lot for your service, many people have the chance to do so, but you do and for that I salute you. I hope you enjoy your time here :) I'm looking forward to know more about your cat colony and hopefully see some pictures of those kitties ;)

Trellum, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Janet Ford

Becky Well-Known Member

A belated welcome from me! :)

Becky, Oct 26, 2015
Ask a Question