Healthy vs harmful foods for cats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Here is a very neat and clear as water list with all the foods that are healthy and harmful to cats. Very neat!

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jun 17, 2015
  2. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Here you go again: the forum journalist. With this particular info I have to confess that when I was a cat novice, I honestly thought that milk was a must especially for a kitten. So when Twinkle was brought home in the palms of my son's hands, I went quickly to get him some milk. I guess I am glad he never really took to it. I am also curious why raisins are apparently not good for cats or dogs. Now my baking will have to include less raisins.

Anne, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Trellum

nanouhammie Member

One of my cats is in love with green pepper and scrambled egg. Isn't that cute?

nanouhammie, Jun 24, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  4. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I think it is very cute. Whenever I find the furry little ones gravitating to something greens, I am always super impressed. Twinkle wasn't the kind. He was a traditional and to some extent a picky eater.

Anne, Jun 24, 2015
  5. Trellum

hunya Member

Milk is also harmful?

hunya, Jul 6, 2015
  6. Trellum

Yes, neither us or our cats can digest milk so well. We shouldn't even be drinking milk from the cows in the first place. A lot people actually thinks that giving milk to the cat is ok, but it isn't. Some cats can tolerate it quite well, while others just can't.

Trellum, Jul 6, 2015
  7. Trellum

Hahahaha! That is indeed cute, but be careful with the scrambled eggs ;) Don't over do it, or else your kitty might end up having weight issues ;) By the way, green peppers can be toxic to cats and dogs as well. Just in case you were wondering. There so many tihngs cats and dogs can't eat, but doubt it can be covered in a single list.

Trellum, Jul 6, 2015
  8. Trellum

I think raisins are not good for cats and dogs because they used to be grapes, and as you might know grapes are toxic for our pets. Lol, yes, I did the exact same thing :p I always gave my cats milks when I was just a kid, because my parents often told me that is what kittens should eat. It's a very common mistake most people around the world keep making, sadly. I have completely given up dairy by the way, living happier than ever!

Trellum, Jul 6, 2015
  9. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

This is a great list and one that can come in handy.
    Merle is a begger so he is always looking to try things
    we are eating. I never give him too much because I don't
    want to make him sick but having this list I know some
    things I can let him try now! Thanks for posting this! :)

Susan Brown, Aug 11, 2015
  10. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Diary free? No cheese, no milk, no nothing? That's amazing. I am here wanting to bake some scones and I am out of milk. We are not big milk people but I always have some around. That cat and no milk was a shocker to me. About the raisins I have to keep reminding myself about it not being good for them. You know Ginger especially eats anything and I feel like the others might have had a little bit of raisins on the odd occasion from my baking.

Anne, Aug 11, 2015
  11. Trellum

@Anne Yes, I have given up milk, if I ever drink milk is lactose free, but most of the time I drink the soy one. Is not so bad, I'm not a big cheese eater, so I might have cheese probably a few times a year. Dairy makes me feel so bad :/ I've had to find lactose free options for things like cream and cream cheese. The flavour will never be the same, but it's ok :p I don't think a couple raising here and there can do any damage :) Your girl just wants to enjoy life, hehehe!

Trellum, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Trellum

Eaow Well-Known Member

Oh boy! I keep feeding my cat with milk all the time. Now that I know I will just have to find a healthy alternative for that. I guess I will stick with fish for her.

Eaow, Sep 4, 2015
  13. Trellum

nytegeek Member

A lot of people don't realize or understand that cats are obligate carnivores. That don't have or produce enough of the enzymes needed to properly break down most carbohydrates. I don't ever feed a cat fruit unless a vet recommends it for a specific need or condition.

nytegeek, Sep 13, 2015
Ask a Question