He wont stop!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by sammilynn, Nov 22, 2011.

1. sammilynn

sammilynn Member

So my cat is almost 6 months old, and HUGE! He's pretty well behaved, but like all animals, he has his quirks.

The other day he started playing in his water dish, and it was fine and normal until he strted flipping it... now he wont stop... every time he goes to the water dish, he plays for a bit, has a drink, and then flips it...

Any ideas on how I can get him to stop? I've tried, but he's not listening, so any thoughts you guys might have will be appreciated. :) Thanks.

sammilynn, Nov 22, 2011
  2. sammilynn

doublelady Active Member

Obviously he doesn't mind water, so I guess spraying him with a squirt bottle won't work. Try saying "No" in a loud voice when he's trying to flip it. You'll have to stay with him while he drinks for a few times, but he might get the message faster than you would think.

doublelady, Nov 22, 2011
  3. sammilynn

sammilynn Member

Unfortunately, I already tried that with him. He continued. I'm going to keep trying, and hopefully he will catch on. lol

sammilynn, Nov 22, 2011
  4. sammilynn

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I had a bowl-flipper, and I bought a large, heavy-bottomed dog dish -- the kind designed to keep large dogs from flipping them over. No cat has been able to flip it (and I've seen them try!).

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
  5. sammilynn

sammilynn Member

That's something I may have to try. lol Thanks, I hadn't thought of that actually... we did the same thing for our dog a few years ago because he kicked the bowl around the house and flipped it, so we got him that bowl, but it sucked lol it wasn't a big heavy one though, so I'll try that on my cat. :) He's massive so let's hope! haha

sammilynn, Nov 29, 2011
  6. sammilynn

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I am glad my cat doesn't do that. The heavy dog bowl sounds great.

MaxKitteh, Nov 29, 2011
  7. sammilynn

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Moonie used to like to 'wash up" in the water bowl, she never tipped it though. She would stand in it with her front paws then wash her face. That heavy bottomed dog dish sounds like a good idea.

Micheleteresa, Dec 7, 2011
  8. sammilynn

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

You can also make do with a ceramic pot. That should be heavy enough to deter any flipping. It's a strange habit, though. I have never seen any of my cats doing that before.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  9. sammilynn

christmasfairy Member

I would suggest going with a heavier bowl, they make bowls specifically made not to be flipped that are heavier so that may help. We had a similar issue and used ceramic popcorn dishes for the cats, it was too heavy to flip and since it was flat on the bottom not sloped like some bowls it didn't tip.

christmasfairy, Jan 23, 2012
  10. sammilynn

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I second (or third, or fourth.. lol) a heavier bowl. It'll be interesting to try to see him flip a heavy bowl over.. lol. Have you tried the heavier bowl yet.. did it work?

Belligerent, Jan 24, 2012
Ask a Question